Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion OS Screen Saver bug.

My screen saver keeps trying to activate, even while I am typing. At whatever interval I set for the screensaver, it starts to activate regardless of whether I am typing or scrolling. How do I force the screensaver to activate only AFTER a period of inactivity?

iPhone 4, iOS 4, MacBookPro

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 1:52 PM

39 replies

Jul 22, 2011 2:56 AM in response to pinchvalve

Seems like this problem is limited to Mid-2010 MBP's with i5/i7. Very unfortunate since this model line has had many problems interacting with Apple software (kernel panics, etc.)

Only way to solve this issue for now is to set the Start Screen Saver setting in preferences to "Never". If you are leaving your system unattended and want to lock it, then just Apple Menu --> Sleep.

Wouldn't be surprised if Apple never resolves this issue for us given that they did nothing about the hordes of Mid-2010 owners complaining of kernel panics and it never got a single fix.

Jul 22, 2011 1:55 PM in response to pinchvalve

I also am having the bug.

Mid-2010 15" MBP 2.66 i7

Not only does the screensaver activate randomly during regular usage, but it also activates Flurry screensaver (which isn't even the screensaver which I had selected before turning it off!) immediately upon startup every time - this happens over the user login screen, as I have auto-login disabled.

Additionally, since installing lion, I have had 2 complete system freezes - has never happened on this MBP since I purchased it in 2010.

Jul 22, 2011 5:24 PM in response to pinchvalve

I just solved it for my 2010 MacBook Pro. I was researching an unrelated problem with 1Password locking all the time. And it turns out to be related.

AgileBits, makers of 1Password reports: "The general class of application that provides any kind of video drivers for screen sharing, supports remote devices or computers as “monitors”, etc. has been identified as needing to either be updated for Lion, or temporarily removed from your system if the software vendor hasn’t yet gotten a compatible update ready."

It appears to be the result of specific apps, including AirDisplay, LaunchBar, and DisplayPad. I was using AirDisplay.

I just uninstalled AirDisplay (via the uninstall script) and rebooted and the screensaver problem has completely been fixed. Thank goodness.

Lion OS Screen Saver bug.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.