Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Dual monitors and fullscreen fiasco, is there a work around?

If you have a dual monitor set-up and Lion and you have tried the fullscreen setting, then you know what is wrong.

Might as well not even have the second monitor...Lion completely takes over both monitors and only allows you to have one app up. Pointless, and no way to stop it. (A preference setting in System Preferences under Displays would have been the right thing to do).

I know I don't have to use fullscreen, but it was nice to be able to view a Quicktime movie fullscreen on one monitor while continuing to work on the other. Lion makes that impossible.

Anyone know of a work-around or fix for the fullscreen/dual monitor fiasco?

Thanks for all help.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Jul 21, 2011 5:23 PM in response to donebylee In response to donebylee

So frustrating. Apple have clearly decided that laptops and tablets are where it's at now, hence all the new features which are aimed at small screen computing.

Have they forgotten their desktop users? I'm running a Mac Pro with three monitors and yet now I can't even full screen a quicktime movie on one of my additional displays while I'm working on the main monitor without it trying to take over my whole system.. Just what the heck do they think they're playing at?

Jul 21, 2011 5:23 PM

Reply Helpful

Jul 23, 2011 3:46 AM in response to donebylee In response to donebylee

Thanks for the discussion. I don't have a real workaround, but if you want to watch video on the second monitor, VLC still lets you full screen while blacking out the primary monitor. Still no good for those of you who want to watch TV while you work on the primary.

Apple: Please fix ASAP!

Jul 23, 2011 3:46 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 24, 2011 2:44 AM in response to donebylee In response to donebylee

Dual-monitor control is one area where Lion is less functional than Snow Leopard. Full-screen defaulting to a single monitor isn't just a problem with videos, as other people have said, but it destroys the usefulness of the feature for programs like Mail or Preview as well. It's fairly common (at least, I do it) to have a technical document or emails open full-screen on a second monitor, and the new full-screen behaviour makes that impossible.

A solution would be for apps/windows to go full-screen on the monitor on which they were displayed. Full-screen apps could still be switched between using Mission Control - they would just move from one screen to the other before disappearing into virtual-desktop land.

Jul 24, 2011 2:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 24, 2011 2:51 AM in response to mjt1 In response to mjt1

I think you are right on how it should work, at a minimun, look how chrome did it. It works somewhat rationally there. Put chrome on the external, it goes fs, and leaves the primary monitor open to use, like I am doing right now. very nice!

So I wonder this: does each app developer write the fullscreen code for themselves, and insert into their app using some fullscreen api from apple? If so, thumbs up for the folks at google!!!

Oh, and by the way, I'd like to rename this thread "Dual Monitors and the fullscreen festival" if I may.

Jul 24, 2011 2:51 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 24, 2011 11:04 AM in response to donebylee In response to donebylee

I just tried it for the first time with the corner button on Safari: 4 monitors, 3 become blank "canvas". lol. My kids were not happy as they were watching VLC on the LCD that we use for video output. There needs to be more configuration for fullscreen mode. VLC has an option to black out or leave the other displays alone, and you can choose a default fullscreen monitor.

Jul 24, 2011 11:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 24, 2011 11:44 PM in response to donebylee In response to donebylee

I'm finding the fullscreen a bit confusing too, as i am mostly on dual screens.

For me it makes no sense in going to another desktop neither, when activating full screen mode.

Back to divvy i suppose.

This handy util works for every program, and if you make a keybinding for it, i fairly simple to trigger full screen mode.

Jul 24, 2011 11:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Jul 25, 2011 2:40 AM in response to tyronecapetown In response to tyronecapetown

tyronecapetown wrote:

Yeah just tried now watching a movie on our external hdmi setup office TV, and used to be able to output fullscreen to it, now cant. Wow, cant believe this is happening, any ideas?

Yes, don't just post here, report it to Apple. Can't stress that enough. These are user forums, and whilst Apple may moderate them at times the only way to be sure you're being heard by the right people is to use the official feedback form.

Jul 25, 2011 2:40 AM

Reply Helpful

Jul 25, 2011 5:08 AM in response to tyronecapetown In response to tyronecapetown

Not suggesting you should post here mate, it's great to discuss with others..

Just reminding you that Apple won't necessarily be listening here so it's still important to post a bug report if you want to make sure that Apple hear your opinion..

Jul 25, 2011 5:08 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: donebylee

Question: Dual monitors and fullscreen fiasco, is there a work around?