Skip navigation

mtmd process hogging cpu?

15302 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2013 1:38 PM by ronny112 RSS
Maxwell Edison Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 21, 2011 2:14 PM

My MBP was sluggish and the fans came on, so I checked Activity monitor and found a process called mtmd hogging close to 80% of my cpu.

I do not have my Time MAchine Drive connected, so I am assuming it's doing a "mobile" backup?  Personally, I do not want or need a MobileBackup... can this feature be turned off, or can mtmd be better behaved?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)
  • Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,710 points)
    Jul 21, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to Maxwell Edison)

mtmd is MobileTimeMachineDaemon, and it's either making a Local snapshot or monitoring free space and deleting backups if there's not enough room.

See #30 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions.

• macnewton Calculating status...
    Nov 11, 2012 5:42 PM (in response to Pondini)

I followed the suggestion below, and so far it has worked.  Will post again if the problem returns.

I have a 2012 Mac Air, OSX 10.8.2

May 13, 2012 1:20 AM

I have a MBP 15" (June 2010) that runs OS X Lion. Under v10.7.3 I had problems with mtmd and mds doing huge CPU loads.

This was caused by the Spotligth index. I had to delete the indices (by marking them private) and rebuild them (remove them from the private list). Booted in-between. I deleted both the "Macintosh HD" and "Time Capsule" indices.

• ronny112 Calculating status...
    Nov 3, 2013 1:38 PM (in response to macnewton)

I am currently working with 100.000 files at the same time. Transfering xml's to html and then moving the directory, except I copied it instead of moved it (mistake). All by my java program and not manually.

300.000 files made the mtmd process go bananas and my fans made my macbook hover around on the kitchen table ;-)

Setting the directories containing all those files to private in spotlight made the mac land safely in the table againg.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.