Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I now "save as"????

OK - so I have a set of documents that I regularly (weekly) have to update (in Pages). I open the most recent, make my changes for the current week, then "save as", giving updated file a new name (that reflects the current date). Simple enough... until Lion comes along.

Now in Pages (and every other app), there is no "save as" option. There is "save a version" which doesn't give me the option to change the name of the file. There is "Duplicate" which simply appends "copy" to the current file name - but doesn't give me the option to change the name. "Export" just contains the options to save the document as a pdf/rtf/etc. Still no dice on just saving a file with a new name.

So what's up with this? How can I get around this MS-like "feature"... No - actually as bad as MS is - I still have the option to "save as" on my work Windows PC...

Help please!

MacBook Pro 13.3, Mac OS X (10.7), 8GB RAM

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:21 PM

9 replies

Jul 23, 2011 5:30 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Having upgrading my laptop to Lion and discovering that along with Auto Save and Versions comes the elimination of the Save As command and the inability to turn these new features off I will be reinstalling Snow Leopard and definitely not upgrading our household's other machines.

The new scheme is cumbersome in it's insistence that I duplicate the document to give it a new name.

I do not like the idea that previous drafts are accessible from inside the document by anyone who might access my machine.

I do not like that new versions are created and saved without my say-so. I do not like that I am not asked to save/discard changes upon quitting.

In short, the 248 great new features provide me little reason to upgrade but the 249th and 250th features are deal-breakers. Until they can be turned off I will not use Lion.

Jul 23, 2011 5:36 PM in response to Eric Siegel

You're preaching to the choir. Tell that to the sinner.

Also, this one black spot on the Lion doesn't have to dissuade you from using it entirely. Only Apple has elmiinated Save As. I can't imagine Microsoft doing that. I don't use TextEdit and will use Skim or the old Snow Leopard Preview instead of the Lion Preview. Ergo, I am unaffected by just about the only part of Lion that I don't like.

Jul 23, 2011 6:12 PM in response to Michael Battenfield

This is what Apple support told me.

1. Open the document and in the top center place your mouse pointer to the right of the name and click on the down arrow. Select lock. This will lock the file and prevent auto updating and versions.

2. Then select duplicate. This opens a copy of the locked file. It will not auto update at this time.

3. Make any changes you want to the duplicate file and then click on the red dot to close the document. A pop down window will open allowing you to change the name of the file and select the location you want to save it to. You can then lock the document to prevent auto update and versions.

This accomplishes the same thing as the save as command. It leaves the original document alone and saves the changed document with a new name and location.

Jul 23, 2011 6:21 PM in response to Michael Battenfield

Hello everyone. I just wanted to mention that on my computer I never upgraded to iWork 09 and still have 08 and in my version of iWork the save as button is still there. Since installing new versions of iWork does not appear to delete the older versions of iWork, you may wish to start using iWork 08 instead of 09 if the features present in 09 that are not present in 08 are not crucial to your work. Please note that documents created in iWork 09 will not open in 08, so this will only work for new documents you plan to create. I realize this is not a viable solution for everyone, but I just wanted to mention it for those who may find it useful. Alternatively, the locking method that is mentioned show work.

Jul 23, 2011 7:37 PM in response to Eric Siegel

I do not like the idea that previous drafts are accessible from
inside the document by anyone who might access my machine.

Agreed, its a potential security nightmare, especially for those like me who have a scratch document on the desktop they constantly use for making rough notes prior to cutting and pasting into a final document. A scratch document that might get all sorts of client info entered into it then wiped back off several times a day. Now Lion will store it all as previous edits in its version tracking with no apparent means of turning it off.

Likewise suppose I create an image heavy document then decide to revise it a few times with alternate images? if the version tracking is storing all the previous versions with entirely different images from those in current use, then it could start eating up ridiculous amounts of space without reporting it to the end user:

e.g. in text edit I dragged n dropped a 12 meg of images into an RTFD file and saved it, file size reported was 12 meg

I then deleted the images from the file, entered a few words of text and closed text edit.

File size reported was now 382 bytes.

However, while thats the size that a file with just the few words of text would contain, it gives no indication of the true size of the file with all the version tracking info inside it (ie the 12 meg of images that are no longer part of the current version).

On smaller sized SSD drives the last thing I want to do is give up drive space to bucket loads of surplus information

A that I dont want stored in the files in the first place and

B is hidden away as unreported file size, that makes it all the more difficult to track down and delete

Oct 17, 2011 6:00 PM in response to LambrettaForever

The file size tracking is something that really worried me, however, and I don't know how Apple manages it, after all these months of use and editing many 'heavy' files, I don't think it's significant, and I haven't noticed any particular change in available space in my harddrive, other than the actual build up of work will provide.

The "save as" feature was missed in the first couple of days, but now I don't even notive it. I just duplicate the file before working on a new version. I also use "save version" quite often just to set landmarks in my edits, and lock the files when I don't want to accidentaly change them.

Of course it's different from what we're used to, but isn't that what we love about Mac?

How do I now "save as"????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.