Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion is rediculously buggy

Running a 2.66 Ghz Intel Core I5 with 8 Gb RAM. Lion was a pain to install. Or rather it seemed to install well until it was time to boot it up. Hangs with a white screen for an hour before finally giving me a logon screen. Then apps will only intermittently start - whether from the dock or the launch pad. Sometimes it will run the Activity Monitor and sometimes it tells me that this version of Activity Monitor won't run under this operating system. Repair of permissions won't run to completion - hangs with a minute to go or so it says.

My system is quite new and is vanilla. About the only I installed that wasn't on the box when I bought it was Aperature. Does Apple test this crap?

27, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 2:28 PM

5 replies

Jul 21, 2011 2:50 PM in response to Terry Hutchinson

Terry Hutchinson wrote:

Or rather it seemed to install well until it was time to boot it up. Hangs with a white screen for an hour before finally giving me a logon screen.

I dont think the "hang" was a hang. It gave you a logon screen. It DID take some time to do the download and install.

It does sound as if maybe you've got copies of the Activity Monitor. Where are you running Activity Monitor from?

I tested. Unpaid. Works well. And the final version works fine on my Macs...

Jul 21, 2011 3:09 PM in response to MooMuir

Everytime I restart the machine I get about 15 minutes of white screen before the user login choices finally appear.

I used to tinker with my Macs back in the OS 7, 8 and 9 days. Now I change nothing, move no files around. Just install the image software I use and leave the rest vanilla. The Activity Monitor is in the X utilities folder where it has always been. It appears to be the new version. That utility loads and runs fine after a start, but later - 30 or so minutes later should I decide to run it again it starts to give me the incompatible with this OS message. The Preview app won't launch at all - all I get is the little carrot underneath the app on the dock but the application itself never really gets started - it can't be selected and obviously it doesn't display anything.

Oh and the repair permissions issue is a puzzle too. It seems that it is finding files that aren't on wherever the master list of file permissions lives - so it stalls.

I apologize for my short and unfair comment above. But I do find this quite frustrating. My box is about as close to new out of the box as you are going to find. It was the highest end iMac you could buy 6 months ago. That it is chocking is such weird ways is really irritating. I am okay, I can (and am about to) rebuild my system from a bootable clone and just go on with SL for a few months until Lions bugs get sorted out. I should have known better.

Jul 21, 2011 3:26 PM in response to etresoft

May have just got things right. I was in the process of restarting from my external bootable clone - used the Option button while starting up to get startup drive choices. Saw the Lion trouble startup disk and selected it. From there I was able to run Repair Permissions. It repaired many of them - scores. Now the OS starts up very quickly - no stall at white screen at all. Crossing my fingers that things are now healed.

Lion is rediculously buggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.