Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent Safari from opening to the last site I visited?

How do I prevent Safari (Lion) from opening to the last site I visited? Under preferences, I've set Safari to open to a blank page, yet it always opens to the last site I was on before quitting. Each time I launch Safari, I want it to open to a blank page or the home page I've chosen.

Thanks.

iMac (late 2009); iPhone 4; Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple TV (2010), Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:08 PM

System Preferences...

General

deselect the option, "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

This is a resume feature of Lion, where the system remembers all your open applications and windows ... If you're not used to it, it can be a bit jarring having everything load up automatically.

6 replies

Jul 22, 2011 12:45 PM in response to Joe P.

that "correct" answer sounds right, but it doesn't seem to actually work. i deselected the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" option, installed Java for Lion, restarted my machine, and launched Safari, whereupon it opened to the Java for Lion page (which is definitely not my home page). double-checked the "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" setting, and yes, it is still unchecked.

any other suggestions?

Jul 22, 2011 7:46 PM in response to Joe P.

Just as an extra tip, you can solve this issue without turning off this feature completely. I have found that it is useful in some cases where I want to get back to where I left off, but not in other cases where I really want to QUIT the application. Therefore, if you hold down option when pressing apple-q (or while going to application name-quit application name), it will quit and discard window meaning it will quit and not resume to the last window.

How do I prevent Safari from opening to the last site I visited?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.