Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Choosing where and how the iTunes folder appears in my computer

My computer crashed, taking my iTunes library with it. I've manually extracted all my purchased apps, contacts, and other important tid-bits that I could. Sadly my play-counts will be lost, but that's not too big a deal. Thankfully something like 95% of my music was on an external hard drive, so that's safe. So now I'm starting from scratch on this clean PC and I'd like to keep it organized.

When I first open iTunes he creates a folder in my primary Music folder, and fills it with metadata of some sort. This is, from what I understand, what I need to preserve somehow in the event that my computer crash. I think the "Library" is in here, and with that I can restore my iDevices if they were synced to that library. It's just that I don't want to have that folder in my music folder, I want to keep it somewhere on the desktop, in a folder marked "Software Fluff" so I can easily throw it onto a flash drive at the first sign of trouble. The weird thing is... when I move it or change it, and I exit iTunes and rejoin, a new iTunes folder is created in music. And he seems to ignore the old one that I moved.

Ah... I think I solved it with a Shift Start... lol. When asked what library to choose from, I picked the one in the Fluff folder, and he seems to have stuck to it. I reopened iTunes and it hasn't created a new one in Music.

Still... I wonder, if I leave it on my desktop there's always another chance that my hard-drive will fail. And if I leave it on a flash drive, there's always the chance that the flash fails too. Is there a way to keep a mirror of itself in two locations, simultaneously? So that as I add music to my collection and change the metadata, both of the iTunes folders are updated accordingly? Is this possible? Is this complicated to accomplish?

PC-OTHER, Windows 7, 64-bit

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:33 PM

I'd recommend you create your library on your external drive, e.g. at X:\iTunes where X: is the drive leter, and have the media folder at X:\iTunes\iTunes Media.

You can then backup the library with the following...

Fast backup for iTunes library (Windows)

Grab SyncToy 2.1, a free tool from MS. This can be used to copy your entire iTunes library (& other important data folders) onto another hard drive or network share. You can then use SyncToy periodically to synchronise or echo your library to the backup. A preview will show which files need to be updated giving you a chance to spot unexpected changes and during the run only the new or updated files will be copied saving lots of time.

If your media is all organised below the main iTunes folder then you should also be able to open the backup library on any system running the same version of iTunes, regardless of the drive letter or path it appears on.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2011 4:33 PM in response to PTNLemay

I'd recommend you create your library on your external drive, e.g. at X:\iTunes where X: is the drive leter, and have the media folder at X:\iTunes\iTunes Media.

You can then backup the library with the following...

Fast backup for iTunes library (Windows)

Grab SyncToy 2.1, a free tool from MS. This can be used to copy your entire iTunes library (& other important data folders) onto another hard drive or network share. You can then use SyncToy periodically to synchronise or echo your library to the backup. A preview will show which files need to be updated giving you a chance to spot unexpected changes and during the run only the new or updated files will be copied saving lots of time.

If your media is all organised below the main iTunes folder then you should also be able to open the backup library on any system running the same version of iTunes, regardless of the drive letter or path it appears on.

tt2

Choosing where and how the iTunes folder appears in my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.