Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 5.1 Pin Tabs?

In Safari 5.1, is there a pin tab option, like Chrome and Firefox? I looked for an extension, but I also cannot find a search button in the Extensions library of Safari.

Mac Pro 2.8 Dual Quad, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:34 PM

23 replies

Mar 24, 2012 4:01 AM in response to netmorix

I am sorry to say it is not possible I did alot of reasearch and it did not show up.

While I prefer Google’s Chrome web browser, lately I’ve been switching back and forth between Chrome and Safari for different tasks. (Evernote for example works much more seamlessly with Safari, as a quick perusal of the Chrome plugin page will tell you.) If you prefer Chrome, it’s easy to get frustrated with the lack of consistency between the two browsers but there a couple of tips and tricks you can implement in Safari for a more Chrome-like experience.

Extensions

User uploaded file

With the introduction of Safari 5, users can now customize Safari with extensions much the same way they can in Chrome and Firefox. To install an extension, navigate to the Safari drop down menu and click on Safari Extension Gallery, which will bring you to the microsite seen above. There’s been an impressive amount of development on Safari extensions, and while there aren’t as many available for Safari as there are for Chrome, here are a few I’ve found hepful in replicating some of the better built-in features of Google’s web browser:

Reload Button by John Siracusa: One of my pet peeves with Safari is the lack of a proper Refresh button in the toolbar bar. This extension placing a Refresh button adjacent to your address bar; you can change its location by navigating to the View menu in Safari and selecting Customize Toolbar.

Add to Google Reader by Rob Wilkerson: I’ve never got the hang of Safari’s built in RSS reader and it’s always left me frustrated anytime I try to use it. This extension links the RSS button to your Google Reader account and replicates the functionality of the orange RSS button in Chrome. Now you can add your favorite RSS feeds to Google Reader or iGoogle by simply clicking the RSS button in the address bar!

Tab Support with GlimsOne of my biggest frustrations with Safari is the tab and search support Safari offers when compared to Chrome. Tab manipulation in Safari is very limited. By default, users can open and close tabs or move them to another window or position in the same window and that’s about it. And unfortunately, there aren’t great options in the Extensions gallery for better tab controls. After some digging online, I came across Glims, a Safari plugin that adds a bunch of features to make Safari tabbing more useful. (Get it here: http://www.machangout.com/) Installing Glims will add a Glims icon to your Safari Preferences pane, where you can add or change your Tab functionality. Here are some of the Chrome features Glims enables that I’ve found particularly helpful:

Favicon on tab lables: This is a nice feature that allows you to quickly identify your tabs. Turn this on by navigating to the Tabs Misc option list in your Glims Preference pane.

Undo “Close Tab”: Unlike Chrome, Safari’s built in Tab pane doesn’t include an undo option. Glims doesn’t add this option to the tab dropdown pane but does enable the feature through a command key, CMD-Z. You can enable this feature my navigating to the same Tabs Misc option list in the Glims Preference Pane.

Tabs Re-opening: Chrome offers users the option to automatically restore open tabs from their last session. While you can also restore previous tabs in Safari, you must manually enable this feature every time by navigating to the History menu and clicking “Restore Windows from Last Session”. Installing Glims automates this feature by default; if you want to more control of when and how tabs reopen from a previous session, check out the Tabs Re-opening option in the Glims preference pane.

These are the tab features I use most but there are three whole tab menu options in Glibs that you can play around with. Other features include a focus feature for the last selected tab, tab positioning options and the ability to always open links in a new tab. One Chrome feature that hasn’t been included in Glims that I would like to see is the ability to pin tabs but all in all, this is a very good tool for optimizing your Safari experience.Search Support with GlimsUser uploaded fileGiven Chrome is a web browser built by Google, you’d expect that the application’s search functionality to be better than Safari’s. In addition to bettering tabs in Safari, Glims adds some search capabilities that replicate a number of Chrome’s built-in features into Safari.

Customize Search Engines: Glims allows users to change the default search engine in Safari’s toolbar search field and also make your own custom searches from the preferences pane. The plug in comes with a predefined set of search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, Wikipedia, Amazon, and Wikipedia.

Setting search keywords and shortcuts: One of my favorite features of Chrome, this lets you create and assign keywords for specific searches. For example, I’ve created the keyword shortcut “WP” for wikipedia searches. Instead of running a search and then clicking from the menu for my result, I can simply begin a search with WP then type the subject I’m looking for, press return and Safari will automatically bring me to that wikpedia entry. An added bonus of this feature is that it works directly from the address bar, just like in Chrome.

Search suggestions: Glim provides search and link suggestions in a dropdown field similar to Chrome, so if you see the result you are looking for while typing simply click on it to navigate to that page. This replicates the Google Instant feature option in Chrome.

I hope you’ve found these tips for Chrome-ifying Safari helpful. If you’ve got any additional tips or suggestions, please share them in the comments section!

Safari 5.1 Pin Tabs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.