Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal and Address Book

Any ideas on how to switch back to pre-Lion iCal and Address Book?

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 4:24 PM

41 replies

Jul 22, 2011 10:59 AM in response to botro

Seriously how hideous are the new Address Book and iCal? Which is a surprise given that the rest of Lion is actually quite elegant IMHO. As kurosawa99 rightfully notes, the new GUIs don't even make sense from the Apple branding point of view. They seem to be steaduly going towards a stripped down, non-3D feel (new scroll bar look being one example), but the new AB and iCal are throwbacks to...emulated leather??? Huh? Really dumb, Apple. Please give us back the old look, or at least a more minimal look that fits with the rest of Lion.

Jul 22, 2011 5:48 PM in response to botro

Before I get told to send feedback - I did:

I schedule 15 people in my business with iCal. I find that iCal in Lion is unusable

The font is very, very hard to read, on a small screen if you have a lot of events because it is BOLD. It looks just like (and just as bad) as the MobileMe on-line version which is also unusable with many events...

Secondly, Even a large (real) paper desk calendar made with real paper that you really tear off HAS MINI MONTHS ALONG THE BOTTOM... How in the world could you have possible stripped this feature from SL calendar???

Third, I won't even say anything about the very un-apple looking ugly leather digital calendar trying to imitate a real calendar (without mini months...)

I use 3-macs for personal and have purchased over 225 macs for my business. Ical has been in steady decline at every major release. You have really let me down here with something I use very heavily.

I now need to waste my time and find something that WILL work like busycal or GOOGLE CALENDAR. Cmon Apple - fix this...

Jul 23, 2011 10:49 AM in response to Macsterguy

Macsterguy wrote:

You can choose the default calendar in iCal prefs - but it is broke and will default to the top most calendar in your list...

Macsterguy:

I tried to change my default calender in the perfs and it worked fine... Don't get me wrong I HATE the new interface as much if not more then most, but I think if you are having a problem with the prefs I think you might need to look there.

Open your user Library folder (yes I know that Apple decided for some bizarr reason to "hide" it) and trash your com.apple.iCal.plist. Then restart iCal and try changing the "Default Calendar" again. I think that will make it stick.

BTW... to make the 'User" Library folder show up again... Open the Terminal and type (or copy/paste) this line: "chflags nohidden ~/Library/" (just the stuff between the quotes please) that will make your library folder show up again.

Read more about that here:http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-library-directory-in-mac-os-x-lion/

iCal and Address Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.