5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 11:10 PM by a little north of south
cmisener4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I use this automator action daily when it is activated via an alarm time in iCal. It is the 3rd workflow run in a series of 7 worlflows to create audio files while I'm at work (I record XM programming for use later on my iPod). Since I upgraded to OSX Lion yesterday, I'm getting a new error message I've never seen and I can't find any info on it. Can anyone help? The error message in a popup dialogue box is:

 

The action “Import Audio Files” encountered an error.

Check the actionʼs properties and try running the workflow again.

 

Under the Log for the workflow I get this message:

 

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1712.) (-1712)

 

The imported audio file does actually get inputted into iTunes and converted properly via iTunes, but the error creates two problems. One is the source file isn't deleted after the action runs (which is a checkbox option in that particular action). This isn't a big deal, because I can create another workflow seperately to delete the file, so I'm not as concerned with that. The major problem is that the error dialoge box displays and the sebsequent workflows that are scheduled to run right after this one can't run becasue Automator is occupied with the error message.

 

I'm looking for any advice I can find, I've been using this series of workflows for a long time without issue, but seems like everytime there is a new OS I have to go through the geriatrics of figuring out what slight changes apple made to the Automator actions.

 

Thanks for reading,

Chris

  • ce34482 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I just wanted to add to this post to confirm that I am receiving the same error using the same workflow under 10.7.

     

    Did I see correctly (in a separate forum) that you were able to correct this using the Snow Leopard workflow? How were you able to recover this?

  • cmisener4 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, that is correct, I replaced the new Action with the Snow Leopard Action, If I remember right the version number was slightly different as well, but I'm on my work computer so I can't check. I was going to use Time Machine to go into a back up I made before I updated to Lion, but my brother happened to be in town and was still running Snow Leopard, so I just copied it off his. I would be happy to email you the action as well. I'm goth glad, but sorry to hear I wasn't the only one who noticed this problem.

  • ce34482 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks! I would really appreciate if you could send that to cellis at mac.com. I've submitted it as Feedback in Automator and maybe a second voice here will help bring some attention to the issue.

  • chmatrix Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi,

     

    I just solved the problem pretty easily: earlier, on Snow Leopard, automator had to be set to work in 32bit instead of 64bit otherwise there has been a lot of error messages. 

    I tried to do the same with iTunes on Lion and, oh miracle, it works:

     

    close iTunes then go to Applications -> right click on iTunes -> read informations -> check the box to run the app in 32bits and restart iTunes and .... that's it.

     

    I work in a local radio in Belgium and I rely on automator on an everyday basis to download then add prerecorded broadcasts to iTunes to be aired with Lion server and I was stuck since a few weeks because of that problem. Now I can finally work again :-)

     

    English is not my native language so please forgive me for my mistakes ... :-)

     

    Apple RULES (but you already know that )

  • a little north of south Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    i'm in 10.9.2

    itunes 11.1.5 (64bit)

     

    and this error still happens. it imports the files ok, but seems to crash the script some how.

    as you said. this is what it comes up with.

     

    The action “Import Audio Files” encountered an error.

    Check the actionʼs properties and try running the workflow again.

     

    Under the Log for the workflow I get this message:

     

    The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1712.) (-1712)

     

    it doesn't matter whether i have "delete source files after encoding" checked or not...

    the workflow will not continue with anything after that part of the script.