Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen goes black after upgrading to lion!

I have a 2010 15" MacBook pro and I recently updated to Lion, and my Mac screen has been turning black after a few minutes of use every time since I up graded. I have to hold the power button to force my Mac to shutdown. Anyone having the same problem?, or any suggestions ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 8:56 PM

23 replies

Jul 22, 2011 9:02 AM in response to Discus82

Same problem. Here's another thread about this "black screen" issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083

Seems like it might be related to the NVIDIA card with our specific model of MBP. I've had the same issue about 5 times since upgrading Wednesday morning and it's totally killing me! I can't get anything done without fear of a restart because it seems to happen randomly.

No solutions found so far.

Jul 22, 2011 3:47 PM in response to Discus82

I don't know exactly. Hopefully Apple will address that in some way when they offer up the patch.

For anyone not up to speed on everything, Apple has contacted a number of us in the thread I linked to above to get kernel panic logs and try to help Apple engineers narrow down the problem. They are definitely aware of the issue and seem to be working quite aggressively to get it patched.

Best of luck to everyone, hopefully no more black screen of deaths soon.

Jul 23, 2011 6:50 AM in response to Discus82

Having the same issue: screen seems to go black randomly, keyboard stays lit with no way to "wake" the screen. Started happening with upgrade to Lion. Stuck doing a forced reboot. Not nice. Please fix soon, it is hard to get anything done. You just never know when...

MacBook Pro; 2 process., IC i7, 2.66 GHz NVidia GeForce GT 330M

Jul 23, 2011 4:17 PM in response to Discus82

I upgraded my iMac 3.06 core 2 duo with 4g ram to Lion the other day. Now, about 2-3 times every 10 minutes or so the screen goes completely black until I move the mouse. I am doing things when this happens, it is almost like sleeping, but none of those features are turned on, and it should never go to a black screen without going to the screensaver 1st anyway - anyone have any ideas?

Jul 25, 2011 7:19 PM in response to Discus82

Hey all,

From a guy in the other post, the problem seems to be Video card related so you have to turn the card to integrated or discrete only by following the instructions bellow.I have mine in Integrated and haven't had a crash in a day. Hope this helps.

Download "gfxcardstatus" from here:

http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus

Once installed, you can switch between Discrete, Integrated or Dynamic.

Aug 6, 2011 8:31 AM in response to Discus82

Guys i had the same issues with the balck screen of death ever since i upgraded to lon. I couldnt run any app decently without the system crashing within minutes of opening the app. I checked my hard ware, all fine, i even tried to downgrade, but couldnt do it on a new partition...for some reason lion wouldnt let me install snow leopard on a different partition. I finally went to the genius Bar and the Genius actually did some Permission repairs, went into Disk Utility, clicked on the hard disk and then clicked on Repair permissions. It seemed to work. Now when i sync my iphone in itunes, the system doesnt crash. Still have to do a full stability test, but this is definitely some route to go from what it seems. Ram was fine.

I had one crash later after i started downloading something from the appstore..it crashed the system...seems like the storeagent process which runs in the background isnt compatible with LION...however closing the appstore solved the issue...and my computer has been running with me actively using the system for past two hours. Finally!! Such a simple solution as well 🙂

Screen goes black after upgrading to lion!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.