Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set up my own server and website on Mac OS X Lion?

I have been trying to set up my own server and website but i cant get it online. Ive tried to set up the dns but i have no clue if im doing it right or not. I can see my website from my computer since its local but when i try on another computer it dosnt work. Could someone help me!?!?!? THANKS!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 9:53 PM

1 reply

Jul 22, 2011 1:16 AM in response to l3g3ndary

It takes a little bit of work but it is simple once you got it 🙂

I understand your webserver is up and running since you proved that.

Next would be to get a dynamic DNS setup - I personally use www.dyndns.org and they also got a free updater which is easy to use. When that is done you need to actually tell your router what to do with incoming web packet requests so logon to the router and create a "port forward" for port 80 and then point it to the IP of your server (each router is different but setting should be easy to find. Sometime referred as virtual server etc).

Basically:

1. Setup dns name so computers on internet can actually find your site

2. Setup port forward for på 80 on your router -> your webserver. Otherwise router will just discard incoming request

You can see if port forward works by going to your internet IP instead of hostname (if you got problems and need to see if its a routing or DNS issue)

Hope I make some sense 🙂

how to set up my own server and website on Mac OS X Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.