Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Lion QuickTime Internet Plug-In causes high CPU load

I have OSX Lion installed.

Now I have a CPU load between 80 to 130% caused by the Quicktime internet plug-in if I watch my ip-camera with Safari. Also I get no Audio out of my ip-camera anymore. In SnowLeopard everything was fine, Safari CPU load at 30%. What is wrong ? Can anybody help me ? It is an Y-Cam Knight SD and a MacMini core 2 Duo.

Karsten Preussner from GERMANY

OSX Lion, Quicktime, Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:12 PM

12 replies

Jul 23, 2011 8:11 PM in response to EventHandler

I finially got QT movies to work in Safari 5.1

This is what I had to do, issue I had.

Looks like I had this thing called 3VIX installed. It was some sort of CODEC. It had its own option on system preferences. I got the de-installed from their website. I also then made sure I deleted all the files associated with it. I then ran disk utility and corrected permissions, restarted the mac. And it started to work.

Previously, what was odd, was that QT movies/plugin worked in firefox, but not Safari 5.1 I had even tried to re-installed QT 7, etc. And nothing.

Aug 25, 2011 11:34 AM in response to addie m

I don't know anything about 3VIX or 3IVX or whatnot, but I do know that I keep running into plugin failures in Safari since going to Lion.

So I clean installed Snow Leopard, and the whole update path. Everything worked again.

Then the Lion update, and the plugin failures reappeared. Grrrr….

Firefox works, but has regular issues with Flash. But at least I can watch some stuff there, like Vimeo, …

In Safari: Not One Single Video. No Flash, not on Youtube, no Vimeo, no streams…

I thought I could be some plugin or so, but I had the problem already after just installing the system software. No applications, no nothing.

So strange I find so little reference to this problem. Am I just one of a few???

M

Feb 27, 2012 9:26 PM in response to preussnerk

I had this same problem and couldn't get it to work at all. I tried to install the 3IVX plugin listed here and it didn't do anything. So I uninstalled it.

Then I thought to try my Macbook Pro and see if it was working on that computer, sure enough it was. I checked the HD/Library/Quicktime folder and it only had 4 items in it, whereas on the Mac Pro (that was not working) had 19 itmes in there. So, I moved all 19 out to a new folder and copied only the ones that were in the MBP. When I opened Safari IT WORKED!!! NO MORE PLUGIN FAILURE.

So, I must have just had too many old things in the quicktime folder that was causing it to fail.

Here is a screenshot of my HD/Library/Quicktime folder contents. The top folder shows the 4 items that should be in there (Perian is optional) and the bottom window in the screenshot shows all the stuff I previously had in there which caused the failure.

User uploaded file

So If you are having this plugin failure, try removing all but these essentials from your HD/Library/Quicktime folder. It worked for me!

Apr 5, 2012 1:38 PM in response to Ryanide

Hi guys,

I'm on a brand new macbook pro and have the same problems with you with the AVI files. I don't really care about quick time, since I'm using VLC, but it's really annoying not being able to preview the avi files. I've tried to go through your suggestions but first of all there is almost nothing on the quicktime folder - just AppleMPEG2Codec.component - and I can't find the 3VIX or 3IVX anywhere. Any clues?

OSX Lion QuickTime Internet Plug-In causes high CPU load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.