Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

800% CPU Usage used by Mail App?

Hi,

since i've upgraded to Lion my Mail App goes hurry up to 800% CPU Usage and more. My 2011 MacBook Pro goes very loud and hot. So after a few tips i've reinstalled complety the Lion (with a self made Lion CD) and reconfigured Mail (without any backup import). But nothing happens. I cannot leave Mail open a few minutes because it starts normally but then goes up to 100%, 200%,... new record yesterday was 800% of CPU Usage.

I have about 10 Mail IMAP Accounts with round about 6000 Mails. A friend as more than this and doesn't have such problems on his new iMac.

I'm very frustrated and don't know what should i do... at this point i cannot use the mail app.

Hope you could help me please!

Best,

Henny

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 7:20 AM

i think i've got the solution for my problem with the mega high cpu usage on mail app...

• Open the Disk-Management-Utility
  • Select your Mac OS Disk
  • Repair the access rights and wait.

After reopen the mail app (maybe you must restart too), the mail app works fine it seems for now and the cpu ussage is about 8% at the moment. i hope that was the solution.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2011 7:20 AM in response to Henny23

i think i've got the solution for my problem with the mega high cpu usage on mail app...

• Open the Disk-Management-Utility
  • Select your Mac OS Disk
  • Repair the access rights and wait.

After reopen the mail app (maybe you must restart too), the mail app works fine it seems for now and the cpu ussage is about 8% at the moment. i hope that was the solution.

Jul 22, 2011 9:43 AM in response to Henny23

ok i've found the problem but not the solution... if i start mail and a message with a (big) attachment is selected the cpu usage grows dramticly high to 800% and leaves there...

i've tried to change the settings to just download the messages and not the attachments but nothing changed. if i've not selected a mail with attachment anything works fine...

how can i solve this?

Aug 9, 2011 7:20 AM in response to Henny23

I fixed this issue, albeit, not in an elegant manner. In my frustration with the new mail, I tried to copy the binaries and dylibs (otool -L) for the snow leopard version of mail to my lion install. It eventually worked after finding all the correct dylibs. However, it crashed frequently, and I had to revert back to lion's mail. When lion's mail was re-opened, it re-imported all my mail and the issue disappeared.

I know this isn't a solution isn't pretty. If you try this, be sure to make backups of everything.

Good Luck.

T

Aug 15, 2011 7:02 PM in response to Henny23

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I've got about 10 days left on my Apple Care and I just had the cooling fans replaced. Now they run constantly after upgrading to Lion and I've been watching Activity Monitor to find out the source. It seems that simply scolling through the email list causes the CPU to spike to 100%.

Is this something that needs the Genius for?

800% CPU Usage used by Mail App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.