Previous 1 2 Next 27 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2014 2:54 PM by lexblagus
s2art Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm about to purchase Lion, it seems there is some problems with Launchpad. Even the Macworld article I read recently argued it was probably no good for expewrienced Mac users. I already use and rely totlaly on Quicksilver and see no need for it either, is it possible to turn this off completely?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 gig of ram
  • Andy Vandenberghe Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

it's an "App" so you can quit it.

it's not deletable from the finder though. if you want to do that, use

rm -rf /Applications/Launchpad.app

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (131,430 points)

Just ignore it.

Regards

TD

• givemeabrake Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

So,

It is (not) something that runs in the background, like the "Widgets" and the "Dashboard" consuming resourses?

And if it is an app, is the machine launching a service or something in the backgound to support Launchpad when is opened?

I found Launchpad useless. All dock features are more than enough an widely configurable. I don't want to waste resourses.

I stoped Dashboard and I want to be sure that I stoped Launchad completely.

Thank you!

/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/159/15928928-1.png

• Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,785 points)

You can simply not use Launchpad. Just drag the icon out of your Dock and you'll not be bothered by it.

• givemeabrake Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Michael,

Thank you.

ccc-helper (x2) are running in the background even when I'm not using them, ready to tell Carbon Copy Cloner when it has to backup.

ARDAgent is in the background all the time even if I'm not using Remote Desktop, ready for....

So are: 1PasswordAgent, Apple Spell. Service, etc., etc.

When you open Lanchpad is impossible to see the Activity Monitor window therefore if something new appears in the list of running processes or any of the other processes use more CPU.

Can you please confirm that Launchpad doesn't use other process(es) in the background?

• FishComputer Level 4 Level 4 (1,035 points)

why do you care so much?, I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz and 2 GB memory, launchpad and lion run fine

and no, nothing appears in activity monitor

• Jeremy Bohn Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)

Michael Allbritton wrote:

You can simply not use Launchpad. Just drag the icon out of your Dock and you'll not be bothered by it.

This is not 100% true... if you use the App Store you will still be bothered by it.

This is not 100% true... if you use the App Store you will still be bothered by it.

Um.... how? Use of Launchpad is completely optional.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (26,385 points)

Launchpad has nothing to do with the App Store - it is an iPhone/iPad type of interface covering your entire screen with your application icons on it, that's all. I ignore it and it won't run unless you launch it. Are you possibly thinking of the new background process called StoreAgent which will scan your hard drive and report to the App Store about your applications to see if they need updates?

babowa wrote:

Launchpad has nothing to do with the App Store - it is an iPhone/iPad type of interface covering your entire screen with your application icons on it, that's all. I ignore it and it won't run unless you launch it. Are you possibly thinking of the new background process called StoreAgent which will scan your hard drive and report to the App Store about your applications to see if they need updates?

Installing a app store app will open launchpad

• Jeremy Bohn Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)

babowa wrote:

Perhaps you should TRY the app store in Lion before responding next time.

Actually, babowa is correct. Launchpad and the MAS are completely seperate. So, installing an app from MAS does launch Launchpad. Just tap the ESC key on the keyboard to exit it. Done. Other than than, Launchpad is still completely optional.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (26,385 points)
    Perhaps you should TRY the app store in Lion before responding next time.

I try to post actual facts only (after downloading Lion from the app store on my machines numerous times to be absolutely sure about various scenarios) and when I'm certain of those facts. I dismissed Launchpad during the download process because I found it superfluous; the download progress is better observed within the app store window because it displays more detailed information.

Launchpad displays applications. When you buy the OS at the app store, the Installer (an application) will show the download progress in Launchpad because it is, well, an application.

So, just because it launches to display the download progress and/or the actual new application, it still has nothing to do with the app store because the app store is nothing more than an online vendor of software.

Launchpad

A home for your apps.

Launchpad makes hunting through an applications folder a thing of the past. Just click the Launchpad icon in the Dock. Click an icon to launch its app. Create folders of similar apps by dragging one app onto another, and delete apps from your system with ease. And all apps downloaded from the Mac App Store are automatically added to Launchpad, ready to go.

Previous 1 2 Next