Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung ML-1710 and Lion

My old but working printer Samsung ML-1710 does not work in Lion, very frustrating, my first thought was "WHY did I do the early upgrade to Lion??"...

Is there a solution for my Samsung with old Rosetta-based drivers...

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 1:37 AM

If the drivers are Rosetta based then there is no immediate solution. Samsung will have to provide you with updated drivers or you could look at having Snow Leopard or Leopard installed on another partition or external drive and boot into that when you need to print.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2011 1:37 AM in response to peterholm1

If the drivers are Rosetta based then there is no immediate solution. Samsung will have to provide you with updated drivers or you could look at having Snow Leopard or Leopard installed on another partition or external drive and boot into that when you need to print.

Jul 22, 2011 2:20 AM in response to peterholm1

I haven't seen one yet. Some people have still been pointing to the SL printer list for now, which just shows what printer drivers are included, not what was actually compatible with 10.6.

So when the Lion list is released, remember that it is just a list of drivers that are included with the OS (or in Lion's case made available for download via Apple Software Update).

Oct 17, 2011 6:08 PM in response to arko2

The article linked here IS the answer for the ML-1710 (and possibly others, but that's my model). However, the site it references for downloads is unresponsive and appears to have been shut down at least as of today. There's a guy here who says he'll email them to you if you ask nicely. He emailed them to me via YouSendIt less than 10 minutes after receiving my email. Here:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3393408?tstart=990#16401141

If he won't respond, contact me at gulfcoasttoad at me d0t c0m, and I'll send them right over.

Jan 1, 2014 9:54 AM in response to peterholm1

Hi all I'm not sure if this post is still ongoing, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I too have a Samsung ML-1710 running Lion and finally have found a work around. I found this link on Mac Rumors and tried it and it works flawlessly. I hope this helps out anyone else with this problem. P.S. It also works with Mountain Lion, I'm not sure if it works with Mavericks, but I'm guessing it should. Good Luck

I had the same problem yesterday, just get the CUPS drivers for Mac... These are just like the linux drivers above, but they are all nice and packaged up for Mac with an installer...

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...osxsamsung-gdi

Download all 3 things (samsing-gdi, foomatic-rip, and ghostscript). Install all 3 but make sure you install foomatic-rip first. Reboot so that your printer system is restarted then choose the Samsung-1710 foomatic driver and it will work.

I'm using this on my machine and all is happy.

Try this link instead http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosxsamsung -gdi

Samsung ML-1710 and Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.