Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Lion, mail updating/migrating issue (hangs)

Hi all,

I upgraded to Lion yesterday, and one glaring issue for me to date is that Mail has a upgrading/migrating message pop up when I open it, but even though it was left running over night, it's not completing. I tried a few times this morning too, to no avail.

The only other thing which is running is spotlight index (9 hours remaining). I'm doubt this is related but I thought I would mention it.

Mail is a pretty crucial part of my life as I have several inboxes coming into it. Does anyone have any insight into this issue, or potential resolutions?

Would appreciate any input.

Otherwise the only option I can think of is a clean install of Leopard>Snow leopard>Lion, and then migrating over from timemachine backup, which I assume is possible.

Cheers!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 3:26 AM

4 replies

Jul 22, 2011 5:40 AM in response to Chris Titterington

Ok, so things have improved. I shut down my machine (a few times), each time ensuring I checked the message that windows weren't saved ...

I waited for spotlight index to do more of it's indexing. Then I tried again, didn't work, so I forced quit mail.

Then I fixed disk permissions (in disk utility) and shut down the computer (I read this might be helpful for general issues on another thread).

Then went back in, started mail and it asked if I wanted to reopen the window (which I assumed meant from the previous session). I said no. Then tried again, this time after a wait, things progressed. And mail has just loaded. It took about 45-60 mins to migrate and clean up.

Spotlight indexing can be located in the top right corner of the screen - menu, if it's indexing it turns into a magnifying glass. And if you click on it, it gives you more detail...

Good luck!

OSX Lion, mail updating/migrating issue (hangs)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.