Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse and track pad problums since installing lion

hi,since installing lion my magic mouse and track pad lose there connection ( not all the time,but a lot of the time )when i wake my imac from sleep.anyone else had this problum ?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:15 AM

30 replies

Jul 22, 2011 1:00 PM in response to bobbistar

I have a similar problem. After overnight sleeps, the iMac won't work with keyboard, mouse, or track pad, no matter what I do. Have to do a cold boot. They seem to all have lost connection overnight. When it starts to boot, I get notified on screen that trackpad is now connect. Not a problem during the day when I come back after an hour or two -- only overnight.

Jul 25, 2011 9:20 AM in response to bobbistar

I thought it might be due to the mouse binding to the Mini downstairs as it was once paired with that machine but I turned BT off on the Mini and lsat night it lost it again. Not that, I suppose. Luckily it was easy to get it going by bringing up the Mouse Preferences. Perhaps you should open System Preferences and leave the Mouse Prefs up when you shut down at night? Thenmaybe you would get the mouse back.

Jul 25, 2011 12:57 PM in response to bobbistar

This happend to me a few months ago when I was still using Snow Leapard. It kept losing connection to my MBP even though it was only 2 feett away on my MBP. It had something to do with me clicking the off button when I wanted to not use it I may have clicked it few to many times thinking it was not on, I should of just waited a bit for it to establish the bluetooth connection. Anyway my quick dirty fix was to remove the batteries and put them back in . Its worked fine since then. The keyboard and the Magic Trackpad just go to sleep when I'm not using it so I don't have any problems. The last time I put batteries in them was in March and I'm at about 55 percent on both devices.

Conclusion:

This is not a particular issue with Lion . This has to do with the BlueTooth connectivity. For whatever reason sometimes it connects quickly and sometimes you have to wait several seconds. If it keeps turning off and on then remove the batteries and put them back in .

Jul 25, 2011 3:26 PM in response to sparta!

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure this is a Lion issue -- at least a Lion issue on the iMac. I tried the battery thing, tried the keyboard, mouse, trackpad. It will only start responding again when this happens after a cold boot. The timing was exactly after the Lion update in the iMac. It seems that I'm not the only one, so something is going on here. No issues on my Mac Air which I also updated.

Jul 26, 2011 7:28 AM in response to bobbistar

Well, I found the answer on another post. Open System Preferences and go to Bluetooth. Click Advanced and check "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" ... Click OK.

What I think this does is to keep the BT connections open even while the computer is asleep. And then when it wakes everything still works.

I'm not happy about having to set this and I sure hope Apple fixes the real problem but at least it is a good temporary solution!

BTW, if you click the mouse while the computer is asleep it WILL wake it up.

Bill

magic mouse and track pad problums since installing lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.