Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since updating to lion, my spotlight is constantly indexing.

ive tried setting the privacy on my drive and back again, repairing all permissions etc and all maintenance in "main menu"

Ive also tried the following

1) Using the mdutil command-line utility in Terminal, turn off indexing for each of your drives. Example:
• $ sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1
• $ sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_2
2) Then use mdutil to remove the indexes from each drive
• $ sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1
• $ sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_2
3) Physically remove the .Spotlight directories from the root of each drive.
• $ cd /
• $ sudo rm -fr .Spotlight-V100
(do the same for your second or third drive)
Make sure to carefully type the "rm" command -- a typo could result in deletion of critical files.
4) Use mdutil again to turn indexing back on for each drive
• $ sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_1
• $ sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/your_hard_drive_name_2
5) Spotlight will now re-index all drives and should behave in a normal fashion

any more ideas??

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 5:04 AM

9 replies

Jul 22, 2011 5:24 AM in response to BushidoUK

That does sound frustrating. It wasn't impacting on my performance, so I didn't even notice it until I tried to figure out why Mail search wasn't working well.

When I finally noticed it it said "9 hours remaining" and so I went to sleep and it was done when I got up. And I have nothing in my privacy settings and every checkbox is selected.

Maybe your attempts to change settings are causing it to start over?

doug

Aug 16, 2011 7:00 AM in response to BushidoUK

I'll get spinning rainbow wheel when activating (not starting but simply working in Word 2011 at all). A force restart is required. Spotlight then reinexes and it takes hours.

SMC reset. PRAM reset. I have also tried logging out to a different account.

Even if Word had a macros virus, why would that cause Spotlight to reindex? I'm going to try Pages if this continues but I suspect that Microsoft Office 2011 needs a Lion update (before the end of THIS month), and so does Lion.

since updating to lion, my spotlight is constantly indexing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.