Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect to embedded POSTGRESQL on Mac OSX Lion Server

Hi all,

I've upgraded my Mac OSX 10.6 server to 10.7 server 2 days ago.

My web sites databases are still under MySQL server cause it's still running after the upgrade.

I manage to migrate the databases to PostgreSQL, so i've enabled the wiki from the server.app to launch the PostgreSQL server.

I can see that it's now running through a ps -ef | grep sql and that it's listening on the unix domain socket 5432 with netstat -an | grep SQL in a terminal shell.

The problem is that I'am unable to connect to it.

I tried psql -U postgres, and installed the Navcat for postgreSQL Lite, but they failed to connec to the database server twith the same error :

psql: could not connect to server : Permission Denied

Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/var/pgsql_socket/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

It seems that there is a permission problem on the Unix Domain Socket /var/pgsql_socket/.s.PGSQL.5432.

It has a 0770 permission on it, but i don't know if it's relly the problem.

I've compared with MySQL server, which I am able to manage through Navcat for MySQL Lite without any problem, and the socket permission are 0777 on /var/mysql/mysql.sock.

Does somebody able to connect to the embedded PostgreSQL server ?

Or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 5:59 AM

42 replies

Jul 23, 2011 12:56 AM in response to nikoneko

Thanks for your replies.

I was able to connect but not from navcat

sudo -u _postgres psql template1 (or your database name)

I am able to connect using this command too

1. Need to add yourself or the account accessing the database to Postgres Users group (use admin tools)

So I agree that I have to add my user to the _postgres user group, but how do you did ?

Using the admin tools, I did not find this Postgres Users group ?

I don't understand why server's administrators are not members of this group already ...

2. Create a role on database login in as _posgres

Ok, I will do.

3. To login in navcat you need to check socket to /var/pgsql_socket

OK, I've already set the socket in Navcat to /var/pgsql_socket

4. I was unable to enable TCP connection yet

I am unable to enable it too. I tried to modify the config files in /var/pgsql, without success.

I have no firewall on my server too, it's protected by my router's firewall and NAT.

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 23, 2011 1:05 AM in response to Yansolo

If you are accessing your server through your LAN it will be filtered by your router's firewall regardless of the server firewall settings, as those packets are routed by your router. If you can't connect using the terminal on the server itself then you probably still have a configuration error somewhere.

As for NAT, the standard configuration for many non-industrial strength routers is to pass all NAT packets through to the destination device without filtering. Unless you have a router that allows you to configure its firewall to filter NAT packets, you have absolutely no protection if the server firewall is disabled.

How to connect to embedded POSTGRESQL on Mac OSX Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.