5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2016 5:55 PM by bnincongo
Bob Grip Level 2 (185 points)

Prior to upgrading to Lion, it was easy to select and copy text from webpages.

Now, I can't.

Are there any workarounds?

TIA, Bob

iPhone 4, iPad 3G, iMac i5, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • Eric Johnson15 Level 1 (10 points)

From my experience,  it depends on the web page.  Snopes, for example, uses a java script that preventes one from selecting text, and that initially fooled me into thinking that aplplied to all pages in Safari 5.1. Not so; I can select text in other pages.

David Kirk at Tech Recipes suggested this override on this particular kind of java script:

"... just past the following into the address bar of your browser and press ENTER:

javascript:void(document.onselectstart=null)

Worked swell for me.

• Kristin Pintarihc Level 1 (0 points)

Thank you Eric! That worked beautifully for me and coincidentally, I was on Snopes too when I came across the issue.

• Eric Johnson15 Level 1 (10 points)

You're welcome Kristin...and I had forgotten about all this until you wrote.

Eric

• MrElvey Level 1 (25 points)

Thanks.  Wished it worked for me.  No dice (on fastmail.fm inbox screen) when I try it though.  Need to deactivate stuff that's a link.

• bnincongo Level 1 (0 points)

I know this is an old post however... I need help.

I am a seller on Amazon.  I have always been able to copy and paste from my inventory list page when in Safari.  Sometime Thursday evening, something happened to this inventory list and I am no longer able to select text on this page.  It highlights the box that the inventory item is in however I can't select text in that box.  I have gone around and around with Amazon as to what they might have done that would suddenly change this.  They say they don't have any macs with safari browsers to test this so they can't help me.  I tried pasting the javascript void into my address line and this gave me an error about Safari doesn't allow Javascript from the smart search field. 

If I could even tell the Amazon "techies" where the problem might lie.... maybe they could help me.

Thanks in advance for any help