Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2011 11:17 AM by turingtest2
Mike Johnson12 Level 5 (6,480 points)

I found that when I tried to open a different iTunes library file then my default by using the 'option' key when lanching iTunes that the iTunes Library file was greyed out.

I looked in the previous Library Folder and noticed that the old file had the extension .itl.

My solution was to add the extension .itl to the end of the of the file name of my iTunes Library files and things then worked when launching with the 'option' key. As an example 'iTunes Terry Library' became 'iTunes Terry Library.itl'. I applied this to all my iTunes library filles and all is well. Of course make a duplicate of the file you are going to change so you have a backup file.

I am using iTunes 10.4 and Sno-Leopard 10.6.8.

MJ

• KevinLeeP Level 1 (0 points)

Mike,

That trick appears to work.  Both libraries are accessible.  Thanks for pointing it out to me!

• AxeManNY Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for this....bailed me out of a jam!

• Jeeba Level 1 (0 points)

Nicely done.  You saved me, too, MJ.

• doug205 Level 1 (0 points)

Please indulge my inexperience. To exactly which files (or directories to I append the .itl? Thanks

• Mike Johnson12 Level 5 (6,480 points)

There are various files-folders in the  iTunes Music folder.

There is one file that ends in 'Library' - probably ' iTunes Music Library' - add a .itl to the end so it will be iTunes Music Library.itl

The other files end in .xml or .itdb

MJ

• mzk Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks a ton! Saved me a huge headache!!!

• standingquietintherain Level 1 (0 points)

I was having the same issue.  Thank you so much!  I wasn't sure what the extension used to be, and this worked perfectly!

• turingtest2 Level 9 (68,552 points)

Previously the library files on a Mac have had no extension, those on PC have always had .itl.

Would anyone care to confirm that a new library created on a Mac also uses the .itl extension, or is it perhaps a bug in the choose a library routine that makes it look only for files with the PC type extension? If this change is intentional and permanent, rather than an aberration, I'll need to change some of the advice I give.

tt2

• jeff_123 Level 1 (10 points)

Another way to solve this problem is to select the folder the library is contained in and click the "open" button in the open file dialog box. Check out this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16265174#16265174

Interesting. The Windows version of iTunes still opens the last opened library however.

tt2

• jeff_123 Level 1 (10 points)

TT2,

The original issue raised in this thread was referring to the OSX version of iTunes. As far as I can tell, the same problem has not occured in the windows version (at least, not for me).

Are you saying that when you launch iTunes with the shift key down, select "Choose Library" from the dialog box and then select an iTunes library file, that it opens a file other than the one you selected?

• léonie Level 10 (90,434 points)

That is what my brand new test iTunes Library looks like: Lion 10.7.2, iTunes 10.5.1

testmusi.png

Regards

Léonie

No, choose library works in Windows. The thread you linked to suggested that, on OSX at least, iTunes now behaves like almost every other application in that you can open a data file associated with the application and it opens that data file rather than a different one it had opened in the past. I was hoping things might have actually changed.

In short, holding shift or option while launching the app is a very clunky way of opening an alternative library given the standard behaviour of the GUI where "opening" a data file normally opens the application that can work with it.

tt2

Thanks Léonie, I'd forgotten the request until this thread popped up again today. I must find time to update my folder structure image. Another layout change is that "Ringtones" have become "Tones".

tt2

Previous 1 2 Next