Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Launchpad default screen?

Hi. When you press the Launchpad icon, you get a screen that shows all your applications in an iPad/iPhone like style. Is there a way to make this the default screen when you first boot up your Mac? Rather than pressing the Launchpad icon to get this screen, I'd like it to be my default screen. Thx

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2017 11:12 AM

I don't see any reason to continue to have a Desktop folder and force it as a default screen. I would rather have launch pad as my starting screen and folders (like Documents , Music etc) for the purpose they are really meant for -- storing files. Using desktop as a special folders that shows up as the first screen of GUI is dumb and dated ..

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Shaadyab

I don't see any reason to continue to have a Desktop folder and force it as a default screen. I would rather have launch pad as my starting screen and folders (like Documents , Music etc) for the purpose they are really meant for -- storing files. Using desktop as a special folders that shows up as the first screen of GUI is dumb and dated ..

Nov 19, 2014 1:20 PM in response to pomme4moi

Isn't there any method or tool which allows us to set Launchpad is default desktop screen like, in replacement of the desktop shortcuts? And the iOS homescreen of course 😉. Hope so....

A little offtopic or, not you decide... if not, it will be the first tool which i like to develop, for Mac OSX, i'm an Apple Developer and I've already created some stuff for IOS like app's or web-based apps. So i'm a little familiar with the stuff. But, if there is someone who like to help me creating some sort of tool which allows us to do the thing described above, it would be a pleasure! But, your help and the tool should be free, because i would like to keep it opensource, which allows others to make it even better! Of course you wil bee mentioned and receive a lot of free love and happiness from people who wil love it, im pretty sure that you as colleague developer will love it to! If you are interested please, send me a PM.

Thanks A lot, every future response...

Ps.. this is really offtopic: I know that apple don't respond to this form, but i know that they will read this;
So i would like to suggest the above idea as a changeable desktop option. why this tip, because i know a lot of Mac users from different age's, knowledge, and thousands of other reasons to use a mac, but we all have one thing in comment and that is, the fact that since Launchpad was released, we don't even use the desktop anymore. Why not are you asking? Well ask yourself the following, isn't a bit in relevant to show apps on the desktop if there is Launchpad?... well for some users might not, but i'm pretty sure that many desktops look like mine, just empty... which also speedup Mac OSX, because there is nothing to show, organize or other unnecessarily things to load and show the desktop.

Make Launchpad default screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.