Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will files with hidden file extensions in Mac OS X still open automatically in the correct application on a windows PC?

I recently submitted some job applications that had word and PDF attachments. However, when I saved the files I unwittingly had the 'hide extension' box selected. Will these files still open automatically in the correct application on a PC? (ie are the file extensions just 'hidden' at my end or are they completely removed by selecting this option so as to cause problems when opening them on a PC?)

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:26 AM

4 replies

Jul 22, 2011 10:06 AM in response to J D McIninch

Thanks, so having the 'hide extension' box checked when saving a new file for the first time won't save the file without an extension? (because I understand that Mac OS doesn't rely on the file extension but has other ways of knowing what the file is and what to open it with)

The reason I'm paranoid now is because one of the fields where I was uploading a file had a message to Mac users saying something like 'Mac users, be sure to save your file with an extension'. Surely this just happnes by default??

Will files with hidden file extensions in Mac OS X still open automatically in the correct application on a windows PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.