Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library.

my batch of 500 photos is stuck between 2 worlds - it's not on my camera and it's not imported into iphoto. I have it in a folder on my hard disk and it just doesn't import into iphoto. I've tried creating different libraries, that doesn't work either. I can view all the photos via preview but need them on iphoto. sometimes a few do get imported and most times I get the message: "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library." I would greatly appreciate any help to resolve this.

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:32 AM

13 replies

Jul 22, 2011 2:33 PM in response to gkapple

Approx 620mb.

Are you serious? You have a major problem and you need to sort it out now. Urgently.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on.

Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially.

Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do. Purchase an external HD and move your Photos and Music to it. Both iPhoto and iTunes can run perfectly well with the Library on an external disk.

Deal with this space issue first. When you have then worry about the photos because frankly, the next thing that happens is your photos start becoming damaged and irrecoverable - if it hasn't already

Regards

TD

Jul 22, 2011 2:59 PM in response to gkapple

We can't emphasize this too much: get at least 10 GB of free space on your boot drive ASAP!

If you don't clear up some free space quickly you could get to a point where your Mac will freeze completely and/or not boot at all. Get an external FW/USB hard drive and start moving files to it and then delete them from your boot drive.

You don't say what type of Mac you have but if it's a desktop you can run your iPhoto Library from it freeing up a lot of space. Also your iTunes library if you so desire.

OT

iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.