Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi speed lower in Lion, anyone else seen this?

I've noticed since upgrading to Lion, my wifi speed has dropped from 300mbit to 270mbit.

Nothing major but has anyone seen this?

Macbook Air 13" (may 2011 so not the brand new one), connecting to Airport Extreme (latest AE - July 2011)

Cheers, Simmo

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 10:36 AM

8 replies

Jul 24, 2011 9:30 AM in response to jed104

Hi, I am having a lot of trouble with my macmini (Early 2009). Found the Wi-Fi Diagnostics tool mentioned. I am using a MacBookPro (10.6) and the macmini (10.7) at the same distance form the accesspoint and the singnal levels are very different; full signal strength on the MacBook Pro and barely two notches on the mini. When both systems were running 10.6, this never happened.

Interestingly, the statistics show a transmit rate of 11 on the MacBook Pro and only 1 or 2 on the macmini.

This is after I tried the suggestions in

Wi-Fi Dropping Issues: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/wifi-dropping-in-os-x-lion-fixes/

This is a serious issue and should be addressed (i.e. fixed) on short notice.

Otherwise Lion is (seems) great.

Best regards, Arnoud

Jul 24, 2011 1:16 PM in response to jed104

OMG I just realized the same thing! I have two machines, UNFORTUNATELY upgraded both of them! I have VDSL 25Mbit, and currently I download with just 3mbit and that's for both my machines!

Is apple liable in case they screwed up the hardware?

Lion has been a total pain for me, I am extremely disappointed, everything has become slower than before and more ms-like.

Jul 25, 2011 1:43 AM in response to MrSimmo

We purchased and installed Lion on the release day last week. Immediately we have a signal strength of less than 250 kbpm's all over our home. Charter has checked and we have verified that we have 12 mb's coming in to the IMAC from Charter. We have an Airport Extreme Router and a second booster unit. Prior to installing Lion, we had 10.6 Snow Leopard and had 8 to 10 mb's all over our home and even outside and never any issues. Now we are unable to use IPADs and IPhones or use the wireless BluRay features for our flatscreen without severe dropouts every few seconds.

We were thinking we had a defective Airport Extreme. However, after reading some of these posts are wondering if it is the operating system.

What to do? P.S. The IMAC was built in Fall 2010, and the Airport Extreme is less than 6 months old.

Jul 25, 2011 6:02 AM in response to cindy253

We should expect a quick software update to fix these kind of annoying issues soon. However If you have taken necessary backups using Time Machine, you can safely downgrade to Snow Leopard by installing Snow Leopard and restoring your data from Time Machine. If you're not using Time Machine at all, take maunal of copy of your files (documents, iTunes media etc.) to an external hard drive before downgrading.

NOTE: If you're experiencing Wi-Fi issues only, please stay with Lion.

Jul 25, 2011 7:43 AM in response to MrSimmo

I've somehow fixed the issue although I wish I could tell you how. First I followed the instructions on the WiFi Dropping Issues post above but that didnt fix it on its own. Then I powered off my router a few times, changed its channel to a static channel instead of auto select and powered off my macbook pro instead of just restarting it.

Now my wifi seems to be back to normal if maybe a little weaker.....

Jul 29, 2011 3:34 AM in response to jed104

With apologies to whomever might not like multiple posts of an answer (which I'm doing only because I see such a flood of replies, I don't think it will be easy to find otherwise), here's something you guys can try. After restarting your router to get a connection:

1) Open the Terminal utility and copy and past this:

ping `route get default | awk '(/gateway/){print $2}'`

2) Open your System Preferences/Network and using the Advanced tab, enter this under DNS servers:

The first seems to keep the connection open, the second seems to radically improve the speed. After a lot of the same frustrating drops and slow signal, I appear to be running at speeds even better than before the Lion upgrade.

re: the Terminal thing... you have to leave it running. I just clicked "Command+H" to hide it and even after closing the lid and reopening it's there in the background, pinging away.

wifi speed lower in Lion, anyone else seen this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.