Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious upgrade options in Mini Server or high-end Mini?

I intend to do two upgrades in my (about-to-be-bought) Mini Server -- and I hope to do a third upgrade (see below). Depending on answers to questions below, I may stick with the high-end non-Server model and do heavier upgrades from there... please read on...

• First, I'll upgrade to 8 GB ram using OWC or Crucial or whomever.

• Second, I'll upgrade the hard drives, and then, perhaps, the graphics.

So, question 1: how large (capacity) a hard drive will the power supply and heat-dissipation in the new Minis support? Any difference in power-supply capacity and heat dissipation between the high-end Mini and the Server model? I'd like to get at least one 1.5 TB drive, two if possible, in the Mini to duplicate my about-to-be-retired G5 desktop monster. Advice? Forseeable problems?

And third (finally!), I'd like to get that AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics chip into my Server model to help me run even better video production with FinalCutPro X (and the FCP 7 that I intend to reinstall from my current desktop). I need the mini's portabiity, but (see Question 6) a laptop won't do the job.

Question 2: Can I reasonably expect to back-install the HD 6630M graphics chip to replace the Server model's 3000 graphics chip? (This one worries me; playing pull-and-punch with ANY logic board is no fun...)

Question 3: Alternatively, should I buy the highest-end non-Server model, which will give me the HD 6630M -- and then, try to replace its I7 dual-core with an I7 quad-core? I get the quad-core with the Server, but can't get the 6630M graphics, so can I create those options more easily by futzing with the high-end regular Mini?

Question 4: As first mentioned above, is there enough of a difference in the robustness of the power supply between the high-end regular Mini and the Server Mini that I would need to worry about replacing the stock 5400 rpm drives with BIGGG 7200 rpm drives, as I mentioned above? Any related, forseeable problems with that?

Question 5: Any major downside to killing off Lion and installing Snow Leopard? Not sure I'll do that, but I would like to retain Rosetta access for the very occasional instance where I need file compatibility with older high-end software.

Question 6: Any better ideas? No, I don't want to buy a MacBook Pro or a Pro -- I need portability but I don't need the laptop screen or its keyboard limitations. I'd like to do this with a Mini of some kind, and I will perhaps even save some money in the process (alhough there will be some serious elbow-grease and eyestrain expended).

FYI -- I already have two Minis of 2010 model, a Macbook Pro around 18 months old, the G5, and and older iMac.

Thoughts? Help? Ridicule? I'll take what I can get. Thanks!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 11:49 AM

Its not much help, but I sure wish thye'd just have added that AMD (option) to the server, add a couple hunderd to the bill and away we'd go....

Im wanting to run FCPX also, on a quad core, but I think the specs say no luck with the onboard graphics of the Server right?

Im trying to find out if the SATA ports are 6gbps, any ideas?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2011 11:49 AM in response to Steve Jolly

Its not much help, but I sure wish thye'd just have added that AMD (option) to the server, add a couple hunderd to the bill and away we'd go....

Im wanting to run FCPX also, on a quad core, but I think the specs say no luck with the onboard graphics of the Server right?

Im trying to find out if the SATA ports are 6gbps, any ideas?

Jul 23, 2011 5:35 PM in response to Steve Jolly

I haven't heard much about Lion Server. But Your looking to do major mods. Check out this link on your hardware questions.

Apple store spec's say 750GB (7200-rpm) hard drive non server

Server specs

Dual 500GB (7200-rpm) hard drives

Configurable to dual 750GB (7200-rpm) hard drives, single or dual 256GB solid-state drives, or 256GB solid-state drive and 750GB (7200-rpm) hard drive.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac-Mini-Mid-2011-Teardown/6131/1

Your going to want 7200rpm drives for a server though thats a fact.

but as for the graphics card your stuck. Its on board. unless you have some serious soidering skills.

User uploaded file

Main ICs on the underside of the logic board:

• Intel BD82HM65 Platform Controller Hub (red)
  • Intel V116A068 2.3 GHz Dual-Core i5 (orange )
  • Intersil ISL6364 Dual PWM Controller
  • Parade PS8171 HDMI/DVI Level Shifter
  • SMSC USB2513B USB 2.0 Hub Controller
  • AELTA 8904C-F
  • SMSC 1428-7 System Management Bus temperature sensor

Serious upgrade options in Mini Server or high-end Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.