Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email settings: POP vs. IMAP...Which is better?

I use my iPhone for work, like many of us do. I came from a balckberry, so I am use to getting my emails instantly..... I will say that is about the only thing I miss.....

I can set up my work email as either a pop or imap. Which is better? Do they both fetch? I wish the iPhone offered push email (I'm sure I am not the only one).

thoughts, comments, ideas, sloutions???/

iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:17 AM

9 replies

Jul 22, 2011 11:34 AM in response to littlekelli

Just been looking at this page and it would seem that IMAP is supposed to provide for push notifications, but that assumes that both the server and client are set up to take advantage.

The Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) provides support for polling and notifications. When a client receives a notification from a server, the client may choose to fetch the new data from the server. This makes retrieval of new messages more flexible than a purely-push system, because the client can choose whether to download new message data.

tt2

Jul 22, 2011 11:37 AM in response to littlekelli

IMAP is better. All server stored mailboxes with the IMAP account will be available automatically when accessing the account with iPhone's Mail app along with all server stored mailboxes kept synchronized with the server with each email client used to access the account.

Fetch is supported with every account type, and the iPhone does support push access with an email account that supports it. Exchange, MobileMe, and with a Yahoo account created with the Yahoo account preset.

Jul 22, 2011 11:56 AM in response to littlekelli

The only reason push access is supported with every email account accessed with a Blackberry is because every email account is routed through RIM's dedicated email delivery service for the Blackberry which includes some features not available otherwise.

Different from a Blackberry, the iPhone's Mail app communicates direct with the incoming mail server for an email account - no different from accessing the account with an email client on your computer. The email account must support Push access with the iPhone's Mail app, and that is with an Exchange account, a MobileMe account, and with a Yahoo account created with the Yahoo account preset. A Gmail account can be accessed as an Exchange account with the iPhone's Mail app.

Email settings: POP vs. IMAP...Which is better?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.