Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search from address bar suggestion

Hi all, I really appreciate the evolution of Safari during those years but I have to argue on the search capabilities of the "smart" address bar.

I think that to become really useful it should use a Google feeling lucky search on a non-URL content, and/or custom search based on keywords.

I know it's not a casual-user feature but you have to recognize it's simpler to search a video on YouTube just tiping "youtube something".

I used to make it work as described using the SIMBL plugin Keywurl but it dosen't work anymore, as every time Apple updates Safari.

Hope it will be considered as a new feature, sorry for my english

Gabriele

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:29 AM

4 replies

Jul 26, 2011 4:08 AM in response to destegabry

Absolutely. I would have chosen Safari long time ago but using Chrome or Firefox is still more convenient for me.

I'd love to use Safari, especially now when I use new Lion, and Safari seems to be the only browser that works perfectly as a full screen app and new Lion features.

And yes, search from address bar would be a great, great step forward, and I don't think this is something particularly difficult to implement, I really miss it in Safari. Thre is really no need to keep it separate, address bar and search. It really slows down the whole navigation experience, especially for users who use Google as a default search engine. Other browsers support search from address bar and that's why I use them instead of Safari.

Search from address bar suggestion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.