Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

memory leak

There seems to be a serious memory leak with Safari running on Lion. The Safari web content - is running crazy and essentially closing down by macbook pro......

I have reverted to using Firefox for now (everything works fine there even with Flash) - help????

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:58 AM

14 replies

Aug 23, 2011 9:23 AM in response to Matthew Grayson

On the flip side of this coin, running Safari 5.0.5 on Lion has me still seeing memory gobbling at four times what it needs on Snow Leopard.

My wife's MBP just sitting with one page open grabs about 83MB of memory, while my iMac running Lion and 5.0.5 is currently at 415MB.

It's obvious that Safari 5.1 is a memory hog, but Lion itself has a leakage problem all its own. I'm about ready to take my iMac back to SL and wait until Apple issues a few more updates. The delay since Lion's availability is completely unacceptable.

Aug 25, 2011 7:33 AM in response to alan38

Me too.

I have Gmail open on one page, a Google chat window and this Apple Support Communities page open. RAM used 230MB and rising.

I had one extension installed: ClickToFlash.

Disabling it and restarting Safari made no difference.

Uninstalling it, and turning Extensions "Off" made no difference.

I wondered if it might be Sophos AV - disabled "On Access Scanning": no joy.

I see this problem with Safari Version 5.1 (6534.50) on Lion 10.7.1 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8; different hardware (1 x 17" MBP, 1 x Mac Pro and 1 x Mac Mini).

I hope this gets fixed soon!

Aug 27, 2011 5:05 PM in response to --- boojum ---__

I'm done, and am making preparations to go back to SL until a few more updates happen. I can't put up with the two or three daily re-boots to clear memory consumption doing basic functions.

Even running Safari 5.0.5 eventually eats up all available memory, with subsequent spinning beach balls, which is ridiculous.

Over a month with nothing from Apple addressing this fiasco. It appears that they are ignoring the issue, hoping it goes away on its own.

Aug 29, 2011 10:56 PM in response to epdreher

I'm back on SL as of Saturday night. Original install disc with a restore from Time Machine. About three hours total, and everything works as before, with no memory leaks and Safari 5.0.5. The near back-to-back comparison is amazing, and my 27" iMac is happy.

No more delays opening applications or utilities. I wondered why Software Update took three to four seconds to open under Lion, but SL's opens immediately. This and even the simple Textedit are just two examples of software that opens faster under SL.

Apple, you've got some work to do.

memory leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.