Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac with Lion not waking after overnight sleep

Since upgrading to Lion a few days ago, my iMac (2010) won't wake up with magic keypad swipe, button press, spacebar or any other key. Works fine and wakes fine when used periodically during the day, but is locked tight upon first use in the AM. The only thing that works is a hard power off and reboot. Any thoughts? Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:49 AM

265 replies

Jul 24, 2011 2:32 AM in response to kevgonemad

Perhaps Spotlight is cannibalizing the computer? Uncheck larger db's, like mail, images, music etc. to see if this helps.

Also: I had the same problem once in 10.6.6 and here it was solved by setting the "hibernatemode" to zero (then no sleepimg is made).

In Terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

The last line deletes the sleepimage which has the same size as your Ram memory.

Jul 25, 2011 12:16 AM in response to alanfromcamas

Just wanted to add to this thread that I am as well having the same issues as you with a 2010 iMac i7. No problems during the day but following overnight sleep, cannot re wake using any input device, thus needing a reset, which generates an error report on startup for submission to Apple.

I have tried and checked all of the above advice, to no avail. Are there any other known solutions or routes to explore?

Jul 25, 2011 8:21 AM in response to alanfromcamas

Same issue here. iMac 27" 3GHz Core 2 Duo, wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and magic mouse.

I did a recovery installation of Lion to be sure that no Snow Leopard components are installed anymore but the problem still exists. Wake up from standby during day time no issue but it does not work after a longer period of time in standby. Only a hard power off/on helps.

With Snow Leopard it worked perfectly.

Jul 25, 2011 10:02 AM in response to dErEuLe

Yes, exactly the same with me. The iMac worked previously before, but not after Lion. Its been a little consistent. Mostly an overnight problem but also lost connection during the day after a couple hours away a couple times. I also upgraded a Mac Air at the same time -- not a hint of any problems. Hopefully Apple will do something to fix this.

Jul 25, 2011 6:24 PM in response to kevgonemad

Just wanted to add to this. I posted somewhere else also. I am having the same problem as everyone else here. iMac 2009 sometimes won't wake from sleep since lion upgrade. Worked PERFECT in snow leopard. Only thing I wanted to add is, check out if you loose Internet connection. After the third time this happened, I started poking around (I have limited knowledge on a mac as a former PC tech 😝) but I noticed that my Internet connection was no longer working. I am using a wired connection (wifi is off) I have an IP address, but I am unable to ping anything. I also noticed that in the Bluetooth settings, the mac detects my Bluetooth magic mouse and keyboard, but they just don't respond. I had to plug in a USB mouse. can someone tell me the command to run in terminal to check if Bluetooth is running? I'm wondering if I can kill and restart the process maybe that would work??

A reboot of the machine seems to fix the issue as all is working. But it's very random. My imac went to sleep last night, wake fine this morning. Then later this afternoon after I came home, the issue happened again. Very weird.

iMac with Lion not waking after overnight sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.