Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do you use Mission Control for?

I'm having a hard time understanding the point of Mission Control. Your desktop layout stays the same, but your programs open on hidden screens instead of the screen you're currently on? That is incredibly counter intuitive to me. How does Mission Control improve your organization?

I don't want to have all of the apps that I might possible use open all at once so I can go to them quickly on other screens. Isn't that a drain on memory? I would much rather have a different list of icons on each screen that I can click.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 12:37 PM

3 replies

May 21, 2013 6:02 AM in response to Zedius

Zedius,

Personally, I like having a clean desktop as much as possible so I've found MC to be useful in achieving that. My setup for my Mac is that I have four desktop spaces.**

Desktop 1 is the one that I work from most of the time. It contains my Adobe programs, finder windows, etc.

Desktop 2 has a Safari window that fills up most of the screen that I use for time tracking/project management for work.

Desktop 3 I use for connecting to my remote desktop (Windows machine). I also use desktop 3 as a quick place to jump to if I have multiple windows open on desktop 1 and want a clean place to take care of another task.

Desktop 4 is my music tab, so it usually has my Pandora app or grooveshark open there.

I haven't "launched" the application Mission Control in months (meaning that I don't use the F9 shortcut to show all 4 desktops at once). Unfortunately, you can't have different docks or desktop icons assigned to each desktop space. My work-around for this is taking advantage of folder "stacks" in the dock or using "Cmd + [spacebar]" to launch apps. I have a folder of apps that I use regularly, but not on an eveyday basis (see screenshot). User uploaded file

You will also notice that I have a folder within that stack that says "Tech"—so you can "layer" folders within stacked folders. There's a helpful article here on MacYourself about stacks. The other solution for launching applications quickly is using "Cmd + [spacebar]" and typing in the app you want to open. It's much, much faster than opening Finder, navigating to the Applications folder and finding your app.

Hope that helps you get a better picture of how MC can be used & that it isn't just a frivilous program. For me, it's the lifeblood of my day-to-day operations that allow me to work efficiently and fast.

-Tia

**I switch between them by using "Ctrl + [right arrow key]" or "Ctrl + [left arrow key]" or I use "Ctrl + [numpad key 1 / 2 / 3 / 4]" to jump immediately from desktop 1 to 4.

What do you use Mission Control for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.