Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of Library and access to Mail downloads

I know that apple's attitude, is "you don't need to know where all those file are kept," however, how does Apple expect the average user to clean out their mail downloads file if they don't know that "Libary" even exists.

Is the assumption that disk space is so prevalent that you never need to clean it up?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 12:50 PM

6 replies

Jul 22, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Sjazbec

As an advanced user, I know where the library is and how to get there. I'm talking about the average grandma or teenager who is a true "user" and doesn't understand how computers work or is not aware that every attachment they click on gets stored somewhere.

It's not just about how much space is taken up but also about privacy issues. A person might want to delete some unsavory attachments to avoid the eyes of prying spouses or police agencies.

Jul 22, 2011 7:49 PM in response to Jim Llaurent

Jim Llaurent wrote:

So how would such a user remove the contents of "Mail downloads?"

You're hypothesizing about unlikely events. They wouldn't, as they would be totally unaware that such things exist. If by some chance they stumbled across information about that, their option would be to ask someone who would know how to do that, which would imply that the person they asked also knew how to look into the Library folder.

Loss of Library and access to Mail downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.