Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Mac OS X Lion 64-bit only? How can I get it to run in 32-bit mode?

You will have to run your system in 32 bit mode, we currently do not support 10.7
(LION OSX) in 64 bit mode, which will cause Kontakt to crash.

I am having trouble running apps on my mac from the previous version of Snow Leopard. Is Lion OSX 64 bit only? If not, How can I get it to run in 32 bit mode so I can run my applications that only run in 32 bit mode?

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2011 3:07 PM

32- or 64-bit Kernel Startup Mode Selector 1.6 will enable you to switch your computer to boot the 32-bit kernel instead of the 64-bit kernel.

12 replies

Aug 8, 2011 3:08 PM in response to Kenneth Nielsen

Lion still has both kernels, so yes you can run in 32 or 64bit mode. 32bit mode lets you also execute 64bit apps. ( use this combo myself )

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3773

says :

If your Mac uses the 32-bit kernel by default, but supports the 64-bit kernel, you can start up using the 64-bit kernel by holding the 6 and 4 keys during startup.

If your Mac uses the 64-bit kernel by default, you can start up with the 32-bit kernel by holding the 3 and 2 keys during startup.

Your Mac will revert to the default kernel the next time you reboot it.

To select the 64-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

To select the 32-bit kernel for the current startup disk, use the following command in Terminal:

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386

Note: This setting is stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file and will take effect every time you start up from this disk. If you start up from a different disk, the setting on that disk, or the hardware default, will take effect.

Is Mac OS X Lion 64-bit only? How can I get it to run in 32-bit mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.