Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro 2011 MAJOR battery issues

I just bought a refurbished Macbook Pro, it was built only a couple of months ago so it is pretty much brand new.

17 inch.

I'm having some battery issues. Yesterday I noticed that my charger (l-shaped) wouldn't light up -

it also wouldn't charge. After some fiddling around the light came on but in my menubar it read - "Not Charging".

Eventually I reset my smc or whatever it's called and now it is charging -

but now,

1) it won't charge to 100.

2) at 97 percent it shows 7 hours 26 minutes left and then BAM!

it goes right down to about 3 and a half hours. And I'm not running anything but the internet.

What the heck?!?!?!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 3:27 PM

Cool, down to 84 percent 1:21. Nice job on these new macbooks apple.

11 replies

Jul 22, 2011 4:06 PM in response to sig

okay, well why does it say "Not Charging"? all the way until my computer is about to die - which IS below 10 percent even! it won't begin to charge at times now until i get the "your computer is going into sleep mode" message...beyond that 97 percent at 3 hours with nothing running except safari? i don't think so sig.

Jul 25, 2011 4:22 AM in response to sig

Sig. After your misinformation in your original reply, how bout you just stay clear of this one.

I understand this is a user forum, by stating "...Come on Apple, this is B.S...." I am stating just that -

Come on Apple! This is BS! Meaning - if this is a software or hardware bug they need to step on it as I am

clearly not the only one with this issue. Taking it to the Apple store ASAP (i assume you mean ASAP) - will do nothing as I just said, this is NEW problem with ALL current macbook pros - just google you'll see, and your misinformation and misinterpreation is no longer needed

<Edited by Host>

Jul 23, 2011 2:05 AM in response to jaredddddd

AASP = Apple Authorized Service Provider, Sig is right, and didn't mention about ASAP.

Also I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch early 2011 and i don't have this issue. So clearly not ALL Macbook Pro's have this issue. It's unfortunate that you received a unit that may have been faulty.

As was stated, just take it to the apple store or AASP and they will determine if your refurb MBP needs to be serviced or not.

Message was edited by: Kwopau

Jul 25, 2011 6:43 AM in response to jaredddddd

jaredddddd are you here to be argumentative or to find out what you need to do to get your MBP up and running properly? You've gotten an answer to your issue. The up and back diatribes are pointless as you can see. If you don't like the answer that's OK. Nobody is trying to be a smart alec here. We're just trying to help. However, your retorts will only alienate others from assisting. Your MBP although bought a couple of months ago is the same age as my early 2011 and Kwopau's 2011. It is not a problem with all MBP's.

Apr 7, 2012 6:42 AM in response to jaredddddd

IF it is a hardware problem, i would take it in to the genious bar because I had the same problem with my parents 13 inch. When we took it in it turned out to be a faulty logic board. (Charging circuit is on logic board). These machines are so complicated it is difficult to assume what the problem is, but I think taking it in is your best bet. Then again, a new battery may solve the problem.

Apr 7, 2012 9:46 AM in response to jaredddddd

You said " it is a problem with ALL current macbook pros. I did take it to an Apple store and the "Genius" confirmed this.".

It seems to me that the problem then should have been rectified at the Apple store and yout post is unnecessary. If the matter has not been resolved I suggest that you go back to the Genius Bar and have them fix it. No one here can do so.

Please understand that we are here by our own volition, we are volunteers, we don't get paid, and I would say that we make our best effort to help others based on our respective knowledge bases. Points are welcome but I suspect thank you's are more so.

Ciao.

New Macbook Pro 2011 MAJOR battery issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.