Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't 10.7 Lion save document as pdf ? ?

This was standard 'feature' before - Saving a Web Page as a PDF

But not working in 10.7 Lion - least not for me

In all OSX Versions before ...

- Open a webpage, any webpage (believe most any other 'document' should also work)

- Right Click and select in Drop Down Menu ... Print Page

- Then a New Drop Down Menu will appear

- In lower left corner, click button ... PDF

- Another Drop Down Menu will then appear, select ... Save as PDF

- BEFORE in 10.6, 10.5, etc ... would get a 'Save Window' for Location/Folder to 'Save PDF'

- NOW in 10.7 ... nothing happens, no 'Save Window', nothing, just sits there

Any Ideas ?

And very confident I'm doing nothing "wrong"

Is how it's worked for years, no problems before

So did I find a Big Bug ?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 3:13 PM

18 replies

Jul 22, 2011 5:12 PM in response to Colin Robinson

Colin ... Appreciate Reply

And yes, had done all the various 'incantations' like re-boot, repair permissions, etc

Even sent up a burnt offering to Cupertino while playing the song 'In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle'

(smile)

Well, as it turns out ...

Appears the Printer Software makes a difference in this situation

(before, at times, printer off, not even plugged in, and able to save pdf's just fine, ty)

So on a hunch (poke and hope)

Updated Printer Software (via Software Update)

And Now .... Works Fine - Can Save PDF's as Before

ERGO ... "Problem Fixed"

(not sure why printer/software would matter when merely saving a pdf file to drive/folder

maybe just that usual 'voodoo' or a finicky kitty, meow)

Now - Repeat ...

If you are reading this and have 'similar problem'

Update/Upgrade your Printer Software for OSX 10.7 Lion

Via 'Software Update' under 'Apple Menu'

Then should be able to 'Save Document as PDF'

Least that's the 'solution' I found for this 'problem' I had

(as always, your milage may vary)

Thanks, BC

Jul 23, 2011 3:07 PM in response to BC Kelly

BC Kelly wrote:

(not sure why printer/software would matter when merely saving a pdf file to drive/folder

It's most likely because the printer software is trying to get the current settings of the "active" printer, even though the printer's not really being used. If you run into this again, add a printer using the generic postscript ppd, make that the active printer, then try saving a pdf.

Jul 24, 2011 6:39 AM in response to John Blanchard1

John ... Appreciate Your Reply

But, imho, your solution sounds complicated

If I may remind you of something once said about Computers, and Apple's Approach:

"If the Computer is so smart, then it should be able to figure things out, and do the work for us. Not the other way around."

Or something to that effect. And think Steve Jobs said it as he was making fun of Microsoft's approach to Computing.

So if I may offer an 'Apple Solution' ....

'Right Click/Select Option - Save as PDF'

No extra hurdles to jump, no additional steps, no need to bring in printing

Just add another listing in the 'Right Click/Drop Down Menu' (or is that 'pop up/out' ?)

Or, under the Option 'Save Page As ...' - 'Save as PDF'

Follow all that ?

And Apple, a question for You ...

Why hasn't that Simple and Elegant Feature been added ?

Thanks, BC

(and don't even get me started - least not here and now - on 'Simple and Elegant' and changes over time to OSX Finder. Will eventually get in another Thread on those matters. Look for it, if interested in my observations and ideas. Smile)

Aug 1, 2011 11:03 AM in response to HookedOnMacs

It looks like there is a problem with your Lion installation. Could you monitor the system log from Console while you open the Print dialog and see if something comes up? The Print dialog is attempting to display that PDF button but for some reason it can't instantiate it (could be the GUI frameworks, for example.) The logs might give you a clue as to what is missing.

Aug 1, 2011 12:09 PM in response to bluepaua

I did not see the PDF button pop up when I deleted the HP driver (I hadn't expected it to). As recommeneded by rusot, I watched the Console logs, kernel, system, all messages, etc. but dod not see any messages pop up when I hit Cmd-P or File > Print.

I am suspecting, I may have a bad install. I went thru a lot of hastle to stabilize Lion. I hear 10.7.2 is being pushed to the developers, so I suspect, some of this may get cleaned up soon.

Why can't 10.7 Lion save document as pdf ? ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.