Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No results from Spotlight

I upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard to Lion and now Spotlight doesn't return any results. The menu only lists web search and wikipedia search when i type anything into the search field. I tried running "sudo mdutil -E /" from the Terminal. That gave the following message:

Indexing and searching disabled.

Any ideas?

27" iMac (i5), Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:21 PM

13 replies

Jul 22, 2011 4:29 PM in response to nkt00

The initial indexing of a 'new' upgraded disk can take hours.

Colin's suggestion is solid, but may I also add if your drive is not currently listed in the Privacy list to not index for Spotlight – that you ADD your boot drive to Privacy and then close System Preferences, then log out. Then log in again, go to the same Spotlight > Privacy settings and REMOVE your boot disk.

This will trigger a re-indexing of your drive for Spotlight. It is a long process but after it completes your Spotlight should again be happy.

Hope this helps.

Nov 16, 2011 12:34 PM in response to GlennW

Hi guys,

I have a new MacBook Pro running Lion. Spotlight will not do the initial indexing of the drive. I have tried all of the above suggestion, and nothing seems to work. Apple Care says it may be a bad hard drive and I should exchange the machine. However it was a special order, and it is a 6 week turnaround for a new machine. I use it for work, so that is a big issue.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

Dec 10, 2012 11:39 PM in response to alhandyman

I have tried all the above cures and none seem to work for me.

If I click on the spotlight icon I only get the availablity of Web Searches.

I cannot do any searches from a finder window

I have a new iMac running 10.8.2 I get the "spotlight server disabled" when I run sudo mdutil -E /

In spotlight preferences>privacy when I try to prevent spotlight from searching these locations in order to rebuild the index, I get error: Privacy List Error - "The item couldn't be added or removed because of an unknown error"

I have deleted cache files and preferences

I have reinstalled OS 10.8.2

fixed permissions

verified volume -ok

ran Tech Tools Pro volume rebuild

still no spotlight or finder search

Dec 20, 2012 8:14 PM in response to nkt00

I just had a similar issue. Spoghtlight just stopped showing any results other than search web/wikipedia for...

I tried checking in system preferences/spoghtlight/privacy, nothing.

I tried unchecking/rechecking all the areas for spoghtlight to search, nothing.

I considered running a series of lines in terminal, then got the novel idea of just trying a simple warm boot, and vwala, IT WORKED! Spoghtlight started indexing the Internal HD, then continued functioning normally again!

Often times, the simplest fix, is the best.

- MBP 15 (pre USB 3.0), OSX 10.7.5, HD screen upgrade

No results from Spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.