Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open wmv files with Lion. Windows media player doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Unable to open wmv files using Lion. Windows media player doesn't work. Are there any suggestions.

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 4:55 PM

14 replies

Jul 27, 2011 3:18 PM in response to macfriedchikkin

I went to VLC website, downloaded, double clicked on orange cone, selected open. Cone went to dock and a small video player appeared that says VLC Media Player. I hit the play button but do not understand the setting options. This was recommended to me for viewing of a live cam, since the Windows Player no longer seems to work with Lion.

Hope this helps so you can provide recommendation. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2011 6:29 PM in response to LynnieMarie

Lynnie Marie ---

macfriedchikkin's reply would make sense to you if you were trying to open a camera, but if you are trying to view streming media from a web site that is a different story. It helps to be very specific about what you are tyring to do on these forums.

I belive you would go into Firefox Preferences menu and tell it to use VLC as the application to play WMV files. I'm still running Tiger, however, so I can't tell you if it the latest version works wel that way. The Tiger version doesn't seem to, but a lot may have changed since then. (I'm only just getting around to installing Leopard next week now that there are too may apps I can't run on Tiger. ) Perhaps someone else on this forum can better help you set up the player in your browser.

Or you can cut out the middleman and give VLC the direct video URL:

Choose Open File from the File menu and paste in the URL of the video, say,

http://azul.streamguys.com/auduboncal-1

or http://azul.streamguys.com/auduboncal-2

User uploaded file

Your media should play this way. Dont forget to save the playlist for later.

I'l keep investigating on my end, and yes, I'm also encouraging certain people who are streaming windows media in to switching to a different format

Best --

G

Aug 3, 2011 6:50 PM in response to memyself

PS: You may also have to se up the player preference system-wide to get VLC to be the default player in your browser:

(these instructions are based on Tiger - your OS may be different)

Search your hard drive for a .wmv file - any one will do.

Select it without opening it and choose Get Info from the File menu, or command-I .

User uploaded file

Choose the VLC player from the Open With menu. If you doon't see it listed choose "other" and browse for it. Be sure to click the "Change All" button to tell hte system to handle all .wmv files this way.

In theory, the next time you start your mac your browsers will use VLC to open media player files.

I can't open wmv files with Lion. Windows media player doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.