Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow IMac

- Since loading Leopard my IMac runs very slow. My processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory: 1 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 5:25 PM

8 replies

Jul 23, 2011 4:22 PM in response to DAYALA

DAYALA wrote:

Is there an option of starting from other than ram?

Huh, what do you mean....the question doesn't make any sense. A Mac really needs about 500MB or more of Free RAM before it will run OK. Open Activity Monitor (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) and click the System Memory tab towards the bottom. Then look for the amount of Free RAM your system has at that point, I'm kind of sure it will be well below 500MB.

Please read 25 Ways to Speed Up Your Mac it will also give you some ideas. Another problem could be a HD that is too full or is failing. OS X needs 10-15% of the total HD empty. So for example if you have a 250GB HD you should have about 37.5GB empty to be at 15%.

Jul 23, 2011 4:23 PM in response to DAYALA

Before I installed SL, I was told to upgrade my RAM to 2GB. It still runs a bit slow, but not too bad. Could be you have lots of apps? or ??? I would suggest getting more ram, there are 2 slots, so I got 1 GB for each.

& U-tube has several videos on how to do it - was fairly easy to install - once I figured out which side went up on each. you can get inexpensivly through this site:

Apple Airport 802.11b Wireless Card - origina... (630-2883) at OWC

(Apple stopped selling 1 GBs long ago)

Good Luck, Kathy LPV

Slow IMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.