Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using POP not iMap for Gmail in Lion

I set up Gmail using iMAP and I find it utterly unusable. It's trying to download all 100,000 messages onto my new MacBook Air. NO!!!!

I want to use POP—as i have on all my other machines—to access my Gmail, but I can't seem to get the new version of Mail to cooperate.

Can anyone please step me through how to set up POP access to Gmail? Just changing imap.google.com to pop.google.com does not work. If I try to create a new account, the moment I enter gmail.com it automatically set up as IMAP.

So frustrating!

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 7:48 PM

3 replies

Jul 25, 2011 5:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

THANK YOU BARNEY

Words almost fail me regarding why this option is not only hidden from view, is not explained in the help text accessed from the '?' button, and needs secret knowledge to get to (or did I miss something basic somewhere?) but thank gawd I found your answer, albeit after an exasperating significant amount of wasted time...

/ Henry

Using POP not iMap for Gmail in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.