Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion freeze when browsing webpage

I purchased a new 27' iMac two months ago. I upgraded to Lion yesterday. Everything went well until today when I browsed a Chinese website (www.6park.com) using Safari, the computer freezed. I noticed the freezing happened when the webpage contains some pictures or videos (but it didn't always freeze when there are pictures or videos). I can move my cursor but the system had no responsive no matter where I clicked, or no matter which key I stroke. I had to do a hard reboot (using power button). But it will freeze again after some time. This is the website I regular visited for news and postings. I never had this problem in Snow Leopard.

Do you have any idea what can be the problem? Thanks a lot!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 8:45 PM

24 replies

Jul 22, 2011 9:14 PM in response to luckydog82

I visited the site, and didn't encounter the problem you describe; since I use Lion, that's not likely the problem.

I can point you to a few directions, however, First, make sure you're completely updated on your software, since these issues often occur when these kinds of conflicts appear. Second, you might want to visit System Prefernces/Languages and make sure Chinese is listed near the top of the list. Third, you might want to investigate if you added any languages (like pinyin) that might lead to conflicts.

Jul 24, 2011 1:12 AM in response to Kevin Hicks

I encountered exactely the thame issue on my brand new i7 iMac 27" : all apps/finder freezed, only a useless moving mouse pointer. I still could remotely log on the iMac using ssh, but I couldn't avoid to perform a hard reset (power off). The problem does not systematically occurs while visiting the website.

when looking at the console, many debug info messages can be seen :

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: ** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: ** GPU Debug Info Start **

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: 0x00006720

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: 0x0000008f

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: 0x00000001

23/07/11 12:47:50,000 kernel: 0x00000018

I guess we only have to wait for Apple techs to polish the new Lion or safari 5 😉

Aug 6, 2011 9:39 PM in response to luckydog82

same here. on 2 different systems. both upgraded to Lion. one brand new 27" iMac and a 2010 iBook.

on iMac while in chrome and once in iTunes. mouse still alive but everything else is gone fishing. frozen solid.

on iBook. several time in browsers (FFox or Chrome) and a couple times in vmWare 3.1.

hope the dudes @ Lion notice b/c this is getting annoying.

also since it is so frozen that one can only power off/on ... no chance to send a report to the big apple so do they

actually know this is happening ??

Aug 7, 2011 3:58 AM in response to phtimo

Just a thought, are you using the Lastpass extension?

Many extensions have not been adjusted to support Safari 5.1 test… or some of the "old" extensions have not properly been uninstalled before a new version supporting Safari 5.1. has been installed.

This can also be the case for users using the Lastpass extension.

If that is the case run

https://lastpass.com/lpsafari.dmg

and than download the latest Lastpass extension again

https://lastpass.com/lastpass.safariextz

even though you have the newest Lastpass extension already installed.

Lion freeze when browsing webpage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.