Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Same Apple ID account, changed Apple ID

I have changed the Apple ID username associated with my account. it is the same account, same billing information and everything, i just changed the login user name. I am signed in on my iPad and iPhone with the new, corrected account ID. but when i try and update apps on either device it shows my old Apple ID, and will not update the apps. I would just delete and re-install the apps, but i have paid for most of them and do not want to pay for them again. is there anything that i can do?

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 8:55 PM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2011 7:39 AM in response to GuitarPlaya7777

This is rapidly becoming a FAQ with the IOS 5 upgrade and the strong push to make Apple IDs be email addresses. Those of use with "short ids" who followed the rules and changed to email address ids are screwed, at least as far as I can tell - the apps are tagged with the old short id and now update can't work because that ID no longer works. I've exchanged several emails with support, and they just don't seem to get it.

This is, of course, also related to the other main FAIL of Apple IDs - they can't be consolidated - many of us have one from buying hardware, another from iTunes, yet another from iPad/iPhone, etc.

So - does ANYONE, including Apple have even a vague notion of how to get apps associated with a new defunct Apple ID to update?

Oct 18, 2011 11:36 AM in response to georgefromlafayette

It's worse than that.

Apps that are on the old ITMS account cannot be updated, nor can they sync through iCloud if they have capacity.

Even authorizing both accounts on a single iOS5 device will not awork because in order to push (Game Center is one) you need to log out of one account deliberately to enable the function, but then that disables it for other apps.

Manging two accounts with iCLoud and old ITMS accounts is a nightmare.

Personally, I have the time and will be demanding some refunds from Apple for apps and items I can no longer utulize without the constsnt interruption of logging into separate accounts.

Same Apple ID account, changed Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.