Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iDisk sync work any better on Lion?

Hi,

I use iDisk and would like to keep the files stored on iDisk on my hard drive for quicker access. Unfortunately the syncing was very buggy on Snow Leopard, to the point where I stopped using it because sometimes it would mistakenly wipe important work files. Compared to dropbox it was very bad.

Now that Lion is out, I'm wondering if the syncing feature is any better? Anyone know?

Cheers

Seb

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:58 PM

I think so. No real issues with my iDisk.

6 replies

Jul 22, 2011 10:03 PM in response to SebastianNZ

Syncing? How did you have it set up precisely?

As to the speed, no improvement but degradation on my end. Still the same uplink speeds, but loading the iDisk listing in Finder for the first time takes about 20 sec. which is lousy. I do manual drag and drops. No bugs or lost files so far. iSync is gone from Lion, BTW, so not sure how your syncing worked before. iDisk access has definitely slowed down in Lion.

Obvoiously, they are pushing for in app syncing, totally bypassing utilities such as iSync. Sync Services are supposed to be gone from Lion as well. So I've heard.

Jul 22, 2011 10:14 PM in response to SebastianNZ

It appears to work here, but prefer dropbox, considering iDisk is going away soon, no? But I had to reintialize both for Lion (I changed my disk setup, did a fresh install) and both tools downloaded the same set of data at about the same speed (slow, my internet connection is so). On iDisk, when first released, it was bad, but later matured into a usuable tool. Tech suppprt was great via chat, and I will be sad to see all the mobileme stuff go bye bye.

Jul 23, 2011 12:08 AM in response to Jiri Krecek

I just had it setup to auto sync. But it was very slow and didn't seem to update files properly. I always felt very uneasy when it did a sync because I wasn't sure if idisk was going to capture all updates properly. Dropbox on the other hand was very quick and I never found any errors.

Only problem is I can't install dropbox on my work PC! So I have to continue to use iDisk.

Does iDisk sync work any better on Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.