6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2011 4:24 PM by SebastianNZ
SebastianNZ Level 1 Level 1

Hi,

I use iDisk and would like to keep the files stored on iDisk on my hard drive for quicker access. Unfortunately the syncing was very buggy on Snow Leopard, to the point where I stopped using it because sometimes it would mistakenly wipe important work files. Compared to dropbox it was very bad.

Now that Lion is out, I'm wondering if the syncing feature is any better? Anyone know?

Cheers

Seb

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
Reply by Jiri Krecek on Jul 22, 2011 10:03 PM Helpful

Syncing? How did you have it set up precisely?

As to the speed, no improvement but degradation on my end. Still the same uplink speeds, but loading the iDisk listing in Finder for the first time takes about 20 sec. which is lousy. I do manual drag and drops. No bugs or lost files so far. iSync is gone from Lion, BTW, so not sure how your syncing worked before. iDisk access has definitely slowed down in Lion.

Obvoiously, they are pushing for in app syncing, totally bypassing utilities such as iSync. Sync Services are supposed to be gone from Lion as well. So I've heard.

Reply by Gregfrommadison on Jul 22, 2011 9:58 PM Helpful

I think so. No real issues with my iDisk.

All replies

• Gregfrommadison Level 1 Level 1

I think so. No real issues with my iDisk.

• Jiri Krecek Level 4 Level 4

Syncing? How did you have it set up precisely?

As to the speed, no improvement but degradation on my end. Still the same uplink speeds, but loading the iDisk listing in Finder for the first time takes about 20 sec. which is lousy. I do manual drag and drops. No bugs or lost files so far. iSync is gone from Lion, BTW, so not sure how your syncing worked before. iDisk access has definitely slowed down in Lion.

Obvoiously, they are pushing for in app syncing, totally bypassing utilities such as iSync. Sync Services are supposed to be gone from Lion as well. So I've heard.

• coocooforcocoapuffs Level 3 Level 3

It appears to work here, but prefer dropbox, considering iDisk is going away soon, no? But I had to reintialize both for Lion (I changed my disk setup, did a fresh install) and both tools downloaded the same set of data at about the same speed (slow, my internet connection is so). On iDisk, when first released, it was bad, but later matured into a usuable tool. Tech suppprt was great via chat, and I will be sad to see all the mobileme stuff go bye bye.

• SebastianNZ Level 1 Level 1

I just had it setup to auto sync. But it was very slow and didn't seem to update files properly. I always felt very uneasy when it did a sync because I wasn't sure if idisk was going to capture all updates properly. Dropbox on the other hand was very quick and I never found any errors.

Only problem is I can't install dropbox on my work PC! So I have to continue to use iDisk.

• vincas Level 1 Level 1

I was curious too. In much experience it is much faster. Perhaps iCloud influenced?

• SebastianNZ Level 1 Level 1

Yes. I'm now using iDisk with Lion. It is working pretty well now. Still not as fast as dropbox, but seems pretty reliable now at least.