Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving items out of the application folder

Seems that I cannot move items out of the application folder under Lion. If I drag an app or folder from the applications folder to the desktop, a shortcut or alias is created and the original remains in the pplication folder. The same is true for the Utilities folder. Is there a special way to work with these two folders? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Sony Vaio, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 10:10 PM

To move a file (not copy) hold the command key down while dragging.

4 replies

Jul 22, 2011 10:08 PM in response to BoySetsTheFire

What are you trying to accomplish by moving things out of that folder? You should not be moving applications out of the Applications folder - that is where they need to be or they will not be updated - that is the folder Software Update checks. Having said that, to test it, I just moved two different apps to the trash without a problem (and moved them back), so you may have a Permissions problem with it. Highlight the Applications folder and hit Command+I on the keyboard. In the resulting window, take a look to see what it says towards the bottom under "Sharing and Permissions" - if you are the admin of the computer, do you have "read & write" permissions for that folder?

Moving items out of the application folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.