Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert AT&T iPad to a Verizon iPad?

Have the original iPad (not iPad2) with wi-fi and 3G. Bought it before Verizon sold iPads. Is there a way to convert my AT&T iPad to make it work on the Verizon system/plan? I'm not a techie, so please keep answers easy to understand.

iPad, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:32 AM

AT&T and Verizon use different technology for their networks. You need to purchase an iPad specifically for Verizon. One for AT&T cannot be converted.

15 replies

Jul 23, 2011 5:59 AM in response to patriciafromtioga

You can't convert the iPad itself. However, you can buy a MiFi device from Verizon that will let you use your iPad on Verizon's cellular network. It's a device about half as thick as a deck of cards that connects to the cellular network and generates a WiFi hotspot. They work very well and they work on Verizon's 4G LTE network which means that you'll get faster speeds than if you bought a Verizon iPad.

Jul 23, 2011 12:48 PM in response to Matthew Smith

I was hoping there was a SIM card (is that the right term) or something like that that could be substituted in my iPad to "convert" it from an AT&T iPad to a Verizon iPad. However, it seems from your answer that I'm out of luck with that idea. I know these 2 cell phone providers do not have the same types of phones (I think my Verizon phone is CDMA), so I guess it's sort of the same incompatibility issue for my iPad.

Thanks anyway!

Jul 23, 2011 1:11 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My husband recently upgraded his Verizon cell phone to an iPhone 4, and we were able to figure out how to set it up as a WiFi hotspot. I was hoping to find a way to use 3G to access the internet without having to have access to his iPhone hot spot.

AT&T coverage isn't "great" where we live, but Verizon is very good. Our area does not have 4G yet, but my iPad seemed to work fine on Verizon's 3G network through my husband's iPhone. We are in a VERY rural area and probably won't see 4G here for several years, so I'll have to be "happy" with slower WiFi. (We live in a place that does not have cable TV, so I'm also stuck with DSL internet for my MacBookPro because I don't want to pay the higher cost of satellite internet service.)

We took a trip to Europe that left the US on March 3, and I wanted the iPad for that trip. The only 3G carrier available at the time was AT&T because Verizon did not have the iPad until March 11. Rats!!! Another case of "if only I could have waited just a little longer." :-)

Right now I'm "waiting" for the iPhone 5 to be released for Verizon (this fall, I hope). Then I'll get my own iPhone to use as my iPad hotspot when why husban's "old" iPhone 4 is not available.

I guess I shouldn't whine because any internet service is better than no service. :-) I've been a loyal Apple customer since 1984, and have always been happy with their products. And now I can say I'm very happy with this Apple user forum for help!

Thank you!

Jul 23, 2011 2:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes, the MiFi idea WOULD work, but since I plan on getting a Verizon iPhone 5 (in the fall, I hope), I don't think I want to spend extra money for the Verizon MiFi device in the meantime.

Also, I did some reading about using my AT&T iPad on 3G in Europe before we went on our trip. There IS a sim card in my AT&T iPad that can be replaced with a European SIM card (varies from country to country/provider to provider) that will allow my iPad to work on European 3G cell phone networks (but not CDMA networks which aren't used in Europe). It just got too confusing for our trip to Europe because of roaming charges or no roaming charges, so I only used my iPad on WiFi while we were in Europe.

One of the best features of my iPad was being able to transfer my over 5,000 vacation pictures to it for sharing. Plus I downloaded games, movies, books, and maps and tour guides for the trip before we left. I never dreamed how much I could stuff into 64 GB of storage!

Oct 21, 2011 6:51 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I agree that the Mifi is a very nifty device, but had AT&T service on my first iPad and never once exceeded the 250 MBs of data on their $15/month plan. I normally use my home wifi, so the $20 Verizon monthly plan for 1GB of data on my iPad 2 is more than sufficient.

I believe the data plan for the Mifi starts at roughly $59/month? Sure, that may get you 5GB/month of data, but if you don't even use 1 GB of mobile data a month, why pay 3 times as much? Actually, if you're on the $15/month AT&T plan, switching to the "Mifi" would quadruple your monthly bill. Do you really believe that Verizon's service is THAT much better?

Frankly, I am not impressed with Verizon's service on my ipad, my AT&T service on my first gen. was much better.

Oct 21, 2011 10:23 PM in response to jeanniefromglendale heights

The OP wanted a way to use their AT&T iPad on VZW's cellular service. The MiFi (or personal hotspot on a phone) are both ways to accomplish that. The plan you have on your iPad was not an option for them.

By the way, pricing starts at $30/mon, 2 gigs. Where I am, Verizon is much better than AT&T. Again, it may be different where you are.

Nov 7, 2011 7:30 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My ipad 2 is Verizon and I pay $20/month for 1 gig a month, and that's Verizon's price nationwide. $30 a month is only if you want 2 gigs a month -- please google "Verizon ipad cost" to confirm this.

The OP also stated that they did not want to pay extra for a Verizon Mifi device, and further stated that they were hoping for a way to swap out their AT&T chip for one that could be utilized by Verizon. Although it is true that Verizon uses an entirely different technology, there is a new CDMA/GSM "world" iphone which reportedly can be unlocked to enable it capable utilizing either or both technologies, although I personally have not verified any of this, at least not yet. However, I'm fairly certain the first gen. AT&T ipads wouldn't have had chips with that type of technology regardless.

Again, I can't even imagine why anyone would willingly quadruple their monthly payment, just to get Verizon instead of AT&T, not to mention the initial cost of the device itself. It would probably be more cost effective to sell the AT&T ipad, and buy a Verizon one instead.

Nov 7, 2011 8:01 PM in response to jeanniefromglendale heights

I don't believe she was disputing your numbers, she was citing the entry level fee for the MiFi service. If they sign a contract they might be able to get the MiFi device for no cost or a minimal fee. If they are going to get a Verizon iPhone 4s they can merely add a tethering plan.

The iPhone 4s is a world phone and has CDMA/GSM receivers in firmware on the logic board, it has nothing to do with the microSIM. Currently when buying the iPhone 4s you either choose to go Verizon, Sprint, or AT and T. An unlocked version should be available this month.

Convert AT&T iPad to a Verizon iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.