Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some pages (Facebook) in Safari 5.1 show up in History when Private Browsing is turned on in Lion??

Why do some pages (like Facebook) show up in my History when Private Browsing is turned on in Lion?

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:25 PM

19 replies

Aug 14, 2011 5:55 AM in response to metrohead

I think the bigger issue is that safari 5.1 seems to forget saved passwords when you turn private browsing on...

metrohead wrote:

When I use private browsing, I cannot access password protected sites. I turn off private browsing, then turn it back on, then the sites tell me that I'm not logged on. What's the point of having private browsing if I need to turn it on and off> Didn't have to do that before 5.1,

Oct 13, 2011 7:32 AM in response to MichaelPxxxxx

Agreed, going to Firefox is the step in the right privacy direction.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/09/25/2131205/facebook-cookies-track-users-even -after-logging-out

AdBlock Plus, BetterPrivacy, Ghostery, Click&Clean and yes even NoScript (drag a Temp allow all button to the toolbar)

To deny your computer from accessing Facebook

In Admin user

sudo pico /etc/hosts

Arrow down below the material you see there and don't change it

add

0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com

0.0.0.0 www.facebook.net

control x to exit and save.

another easier way (can use in Standard User this way) is to use the free TextWrangler and open file by name:

/etc/hosts

and perform the same thing.

Why do some pages (Facebook) in Safari 5.1 show up in History when Private Browsing is turned on in Lion??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.