Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

memory for G5 model number A1177

Got a used G5 with no memory or hard drives inside.

what memory do I install? PC2700 ? 3200 ? 4200 ?

The model number on the bottom of the box is A1177

I can't seem to find this info in the tech pages.for this model.

Also, since there is no operating sys installed which one is best for this model ?

OS X ? which version ?

Thanks

PowerMac

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:11 PM

2 replies

Jul 22, 2011 11:26 PM in response to bobby0wie

Late 2005 Model.

DIMMs must be installed in equal-sized pairs and fit these specifications:

• PC2-4200, 533 MHz, Double-Data-Rate 2 (DDR2) DIMMs, also known as DDR2-533
  • 64-bit wide, 240-pin modules
  • 18 memory devices maximum per DIMM
  • Conform to JEDEC specification (see note below)
  • Nonparity
  • Error-correcting code (ECC) or no error-correcting code (NECC) modules. Do not mix
  • ECC and NECC memory modules within a pair.
  • Unbuffered (not registered or buffered)
  • Maximum height of 1.25 inches

Important: DIMMs from older Macintosh computers are not compatible with and do

not fit in your Power Mac G5.

See specs here. Here is the Apple Support specs page for those machines.

Manual at this link.

Lowest operating system is 10.4.2 Tiger, though you would want to run it at 10.4.11. You can also run Leopard 10-.5.8..

Feb 11, 2013 8:06 AM in response to old comm guy

Thanks for the important advice about DDR I am new to these Power Pros and I got one from a dump in Sendai Japan ,it had been out in the snow I must say I was really chuffed there was also a 3G too and i have a second one nearly the same so i can test it out.Getting back to the Power Pro I wndered why it was dumped,after getting home I looked inside it was not at all damaged by the snow but no mem or hard disk but memory is really hard to get in the shops i never go on line ,then it had no power cable so yesterday I got one from HARD .OFF on the web they sell all recyled stuff and I got about 10 old Macs as junk I could revive most of them.when I saw the plug socket it was different from Japanese which is vertical pins ⎜ ⫿ ⫿ ⎪ US is Horizontal and 110v Japan 100v.

\ ⫿ /

I may have to form it by making the socket end into horizontal Famales to fit the Male pins ( square peg in a small round hole ). Pin square is larger too no wonder it was dumped no Japanese will botther with the power plug. But I am going to Solve this.

memory for G5 model number A1177

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.