Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Write IPTC Metadata to Master" no longer functioning for JPGs in Lion

I'm currently running Aperture 3.1.3 and I just upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion (with Filevault 2 enabled) yesterday and I've now got a problem that never existed before.

I've noticed that the "Write IPTC Metadata to Master" function no longer works when trying to embed IPTC metadata into any master file other than a RAW photo file. I thought maybe reparing permissions, repairing the Aperture library, rebuilding the Aperture library, reprocessing masters, regenerating previews might help ...nope.

To test this I created a brand-new Aperture library and imported a mix of .JPG and Canon .CR2 photo files.

I am able to successfully use the "Write IPTC Metadata to Master" command on my CR2s, but when I try to do the same thing to my JPGs I get the following error: "No master files were modified -- Aperture was not able to modify one or more master files because they have a format that does not permit modification."

User uploaded file

JPG file IPTC metadata embedding worked perfectly in the past, but not now...

Anyone else notice this? Help/suggestions/advice?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7),  iPad 2  MacBook Pro 15"

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 12:20 AM

29 replies

Aug 5, 2011 8:12 AM in response to tanuki15

I'm having the exact same issue. I purchased Aperture recently just so I could edit the metadata on lots of old jpg pictures and scans. Until I upgraded to Lion, it was working well. Now with Lion, I can still edit the metadata, but I cannot write the metadata back to the master. I just spent the last two days filling out the metadata info (primarily Title and Caption), figuring to save to master once I got done with the batch of photos I'm currently working on. I don't want to lose my work.

I'm wondering if I can accomplish the same thing by exporting my updated metadata versions and reimporting them. Might that work? Will I lose/gain anything in the process?

Aug 6, 2011 9:27 AM in response to JHawk1

JHawk1, yes. You can accomplish the same thing by exporting the version with the correct metadata applied and then re-import. It will do basically the same thing (albeit with a version very close). Unfortunately, most of us would like to just write metadata to the Master and just call it done without having to re-import (a quite lengthy step for a large library!). Here's hoping that Apple fixes this bug. While we wait for a fix, please let Apple know by selecting the "Provide Aperture Feeback" option from "Aperture" in the Apertire menu bar.

Aug 18, 2011 9:10 AM in response to Michael Hobi

Well that kills that theory. Are these managed or referenced masters? Does it make a difference?

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet (not feeling bleeding edge just now) so I can't offer much more right now other then make sure you've gone through the basic Aperture trouble shooting steps. I would also try it on a different library and as a different user.

regards

"Write IPTC Metadata to Master" no longer functioning for JPGs in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.