Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Launchpad Icon Size

Is there any way to reduce the size of icons in Launchpad? They're ridiculously large on my iMac...

iMac 24-inch, MacBook Air 13", Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2x iPhone 4, 2x iPod nano

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 1:50 AM

57 replies

Sep 20, 2011 3:54 AM in response to Richard Morris

Agree. I like the idea of Launchpad but the icins are too big and spaced too far apart for me even on a humble 21.5" iMac (yes I am envious of you guys with 27" 😁).

I want a slider setting to set the amount of screen space (from the center outwards) that LaunchPad uses. I'd be happy if the icon size then scaled to fit but I guess others would like to specify grid sizes other than 8 x 5 too.

To be able to drop the use of the dock altogether, I'd want:

- the option to show an 'is running' indicator

- the right (two fingered) click context menu in Launchpad

- different way of notifying user that application needs attention

Sep 20, 2011 8:14 AM in response to stephenrpalmer

I'd not want to give up my dock and have to go back to OS 9 (?) days when there was no quick way to open anything - everything involved having to open folders - first the hard drive folder, then Applications, and finally the app itself.

I will never use Launchpad (I also never use icon view in a finder window because I like things filed alphabetically and being able to scroll down or up to find them) - aside from the other issues, I don't want my iMac looking like an oversized 27" iPhone.

Sep 21, 2011 8:36 AM in response to stephenrpalmer

I have 67 icons in my dock (which includes only my frequently used apps and folders) - all neatly arranged by "internet", "word processing", "graphics", "video editing", and several very important folders, etc. and I can pretty much find the app I want on the first try. I would not want to look at 2" icons of all of those - it's garish looking and would waste too much time first going from launch to page 4 and then find the app I want (page 4 + launch app = 5 clicks vs. 1 click from a minimized dock). And, as far as I know, you can't just add folders to Launchpad and I have 8 which I need daily.

As long as the dock is not taken away, Launchpad is a non-issue for me. If the dock is discontinued, I will return to opening folders - one at a time - and Launchpad will still be a non-issue for me.

Oct 12, 2011 8:03 PM in response to Samuel Ford

These giant Launchpad icons in 10.7.2 have got to go.

It's the least tasteful thing that Apple's done to OS X since the "translucent" menu bar in Leopard. Thankfully enough people complained about "it" and they added a checkbox in the preferences for Desktop & Screen Saver for us to disable it.

I would also like to urge everyone who reads this thread to click here and send feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Launchpad Icon Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.