Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk space information

After deleting a lot of movies (about 50Gb) and emptying the trash, running maintenace scripts and re-booting twice, I get the following information:

The MacIntosh HD information seems correct, so both the Activity Monitor and Disk Utility are displaying old data.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 3:04 AM

7 replies

Jul 23, 2011 3:31 AM in response to coocooforcocoapuffs

Thanks for the tip.

My main reason for posting this here, is because I don't want to submit feedback to Apple without some confirmation that there is a problem (ie. not finger trouble on my part). I'd be quite happy with Disk Utility and Activity Monitor, but need to trust the information they give.

I don't think this forum is well constructed for discussing particular issues. There is a need to separate disgruntled rants from specific constructive dialogue😎 and god knows, Apple need to eliminate these bugs fast or they'll get knocked off their pedestal.

Jul 24, 2011 7:18 AM in response to putnik

I've just found more information at About this Mac>More Info>Storage

It seems that the deleted 50Gb is now in the "Backup" sector of the bar chart, unless it is this space now being used by Time Machine Snapshots. There is still a discrepancy between Get Info, Disk Utility and Activity Monitor.

Finding out how much disk space you actually have may not be so easy now Snapshots uses any free space for itself. I submitted a Bug Report.

User uploaded file

Disk space information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.